Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Homily Reflection - Baptism of the Lord - It Happened in Those Days

“It Happened in Those Days”
In the second reading John writes about testimony; Human testimony and the testimony of God. This is a good way to start, with my testimony.
The words from the Gospel “It happened in those days ….”
How many remember when you were baptized? It happened in those days …, if you are a cradle Catholic you may have been too young to remember. Parents, godparents, and family witnessed it. They remember it, those there, then.
I was baptized twice. Once as a 2 week old, I don’t remember it and again in the 5th grade.
It happened in those days… the whole congregation of Gorum Baptist Church was standing on the bank of the Bayou Burbue. Eleven years old and God was calling me; but, I didn’t know what He wanted! In this baptism in a dirty, muddy, cattle watering hole, I tried to answer that call.
My Dad baptized me. As he preached the baptism sermon; I walked into the water. He probably preached the same gospel. Standing beside him, he told me to hold my nose and close my eyes. I held my nose; but, as soon as I went underwater, I opened my eyes to look for the Holy Spirit.
What I saw was beautiful, a kaleidoscope of colors: blue sky, golden sun, emeralds, light green, and bronze water reflected as if through gemstones. I could see the white of my daddy’s shirt and the thin stripe of his tie. I saw the beauty of God’s creation. But, I didn’t see the Holy Spirit - there, then.
It happened in those days at the Bayou Barbue…. It wasn’t a voice from heaven, but a father said, “This is my son, I’m proud of him.” The people heard, the ones there, then.
It happened in those days at the River Jordan…. In similar words, the Heavenly Father identified Jesus. The words heard when the Lord was baptized; a voice from heaven saying “This is my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased”. The people heard - the ones there, then.
The prophet Isaiah says that when the Messiah comes he will heal the sick, feed the hungry, and open the eyes of the blind. The Gospels tell us Christ did this. Jesus did heal. He fed the hungry and opened the eyes of the blind, but only those there, then. 
Why didn’t everyone hear God identify Jesus as his son?  Why didn’t Jesus heal everyone with one prayer? "For my thoughts are not your thoughts nor are your ways my ways." 
God identified Jesus as his Son to those people who heard his voice. He sent the message to the heart and soul of each person there, then. God does the same with each and every one of us, opening our blind eyes to Christ. God wants a personal relationship with us. He calls each of us.
It happened in those days..., I did find the Holy Spirit, but it was about 20 years ago. I had looked in different places and different Churches. I found the Holy Spirit as I walked behind my oldest daughter to receive my first Holy Communion.
John said “It is the Spirit who testifies and brings the truth.” The first time I experienced the precious body and the most sacred blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, it was there, then that I felt the Holy Spirit and truly knew Christ. I knew I was answering God’s call.
It happens in these days..., I get that same feeling when I offer each of you the Blessed Sacrament. I can feel the excitement and power of the Holy Spirit as you come forward truly ready to receive Christ.
In the voice from heaven, in the miracles of Christ, God shows he is committed to those there, then. It is the same with us; being there, then; when Christ comes to us. You face him, know him, love him, and answer His call to your heart. This is the recognition of the ever present Holy Spirit. This ever present call to us from God through Christ is a personal call to our heart and soul. 
But, God always has room for others. It happens when you come as yourself, as you are there, then. and it happens here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment