Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 29, 2013

It's All in Forgiveness


This semester in the Diaconate training program, we are beginning our second class in homiletics -  Preaching.   The focus of this semester will be reflections for special occasions:  holidays, funerals, weddings, and holy days of obligations.  Our first assignment is a homily for Holy Thursday.  

I did not want to reflect on the obvious.  I am sure that there will be several reflections on the last supper or the washing of feet.  I wanted to look at what the readings more deeply had in common.  So I wrote my reflection.  I have changed it. I tweaked it. I ran it over and over in my head.  I knew I had the perfect reflection.

That last paragraph had a lot of  "I"s in it.  However, what I think and what God wants are usually two separate things.   

What God wants me to do I usually do reluctanly.  I don't want to exercise, but God makes me fight my weight.  But my walk/jogs gives me quite times to be with God and my thoughts.   Reluctantly exercising not because I don't want to be alone with God: but, because I can always find and excuse to not exercise.  Again a lot more "I"s.


Last night, as I went around and around on the track at the high school, my homily ran around and around in my head.  Suddenly, the Holy Spirit placed in my heart that what I was saying was not enough.

The true message is forgiveness.  This is what makes our Christian faith different from every other faith.   God's grace found in the love and forgiveness that Jesus brings.  It is the truth of the Eucharist and in the washing of feet.  It is the truth that sums up the entirety of Jesus' public life, the message of His ministry, and the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus Christ's passion.  Through God's grace and our faith, we find forgiveness.

"I" thought "I" had crafted a great homily; but, it was based in pride: all those "I"s.  Christ's true message comes from opening your heart to the inflowing of the Holy Spirit, and as John the Baptist said - "I decrease so that He may increase."  Unless "I" do this, "I" will never truly be able to bring the Lord's message, but only bring my message.  When I truly realize my selfishness and ask, my pride is forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment