Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pray and Ask for Forgiveness

This was it, the final meeting with the Bishop before ordination.  I had broken out a new pair of pants and Janet had all her make-up on before we got into the car.  This was such an important meeting that we were on time. Together, we were excited. I was nervous.  Hopefully, we would present ourselves well.  I was not worried about Janet.

I think about this meeting and am reminded of the story that Jesus tells of the Pharisee and the tax collector.  Both go to the temple to pray.  Jesus says the Pharisee “spoke this prayer to himself” as a righteous narrative.  The tax collector prays like a guilty person.  He recognizes his unworthiness, beats his chest and prays for mercy. 

The meeting with the Bishop went well.  When we got to the car, Janet told me that I had cut her off when the Bishop asked her a question.  Honestly, I thought she was through and I wanted to add a comment.  So now, here I am asking for her mercy. (Just kidding)

Sometimes situations in life throws us off-course.  Speaking with friends, we will talked about children who have been thrown off-course.  Each of these parents is a person of faith..  But they see the lives of their children and are afraid that maybe they have forgotten Jesus.    

But Jesus Christ has not forgotten.  Jesus was there for the sinners, the fallen, and the outcast.  And, Christ Jesus is there for us.  As parents or just someone who cares, we do not need to be like the Pharisee.  No matter how righteous or how broken, we are sinners and must pray like the tax collector.  We need to recognize our unworthiness and pray for God’s mercy.  For some, like those we worry about, it may take them longer to recognize this need.  We pray for them.


Maybe in my nervousness, I talked too much.  I am sure the Bishop will forgive me.  Maybe in my nervousness, I hogged the conversation; Janet will forgive me.  Maybe in life, we become lost.  Maybe, we fall again and again; but, God’s grace abounds with mercy and forgiveness.  Pray and forgive others.  Pray and ask for forgiveness. God will forgive us.

No comments:

Post a Comment