Total Pageviews

Friday, April 4, 2014

Open Me to Know You

Even when God sets no limits; man will.  This is evident in the apostles. As disciples and apostles, they had a limitless access to God in Jesus.  But while Jesus was with them, they never truly open themselves to know Jesus and his purpose.  They thought they knew Jesus.  Even Peter who declared "You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God!" did not truly know. The apostles never truly knew Jesus until after his death.

All Judas the Iscariot had to do was say "yes" to the Lord and abandon the world. Judas never really did see Jesus' work or hear his words.  He never opened his heart to receive Jesus.  Instead, Judas said "no," by answering "yes" to the temptations of the world.  And after Jesus' crucifixion, Judas' choice became his great anguish.

All Peter had to do was to say "yes" and trust the Lord by accepting his sacrifice.  Peter told the truth when he denied knowing Jesus three times. Even though Peter thought he had totally opened himself to Jesus and said "yes," it was a false piety.  False because Peter never entirely opened his eyes and ears to understand Jesus' message.  Jesus rebuked the piety of Peter, "Get behind me Satan."  It was after Christ Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, that Peter abandoned everything and ran to know him.

All that the Lord asks - is that we know him.

Dear Jesus,

Help me to rid myself of anything
      that keeps me from knowing you.
In knowing you,
      I also know the Father.

Send the Holy Spirit to
      Open my eyes to see you,
      Open my ears to hear you,
      Open my heart to receive you,
      Open me that I may know you.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment