Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Flash! Friday: Before (A Modern Parable w/A Pirate and a Dragon)

Marooned, by Howard Pyle, 1909. Public Domain.
150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt and prompt arrogance.

Before
by WEGoss2
(Vibria is one term for a female dragon; a drake is a male dragon)

I am the pirate, riding a vibria of the Jolly Roger breed. She was a dragon majestic in her double wings, showing crossbones that darkened the sky and shadowed the ground. Seeing the lowly running in our silent passing, I grew in self-told confidence swooping from above to riches.

I first noticed a change in the static of her skin and the temper of her flame. Then, in the distance was her champion. He was magnificent, a dark irradiant Jolly Roger drake. I would master him. In my arrogance, I knew he would be mine. 

I set a trap of legends using vibria as bait. 

Now I sit abandoned in solitude, a pirate without the vastness of the sky. I am marooned by my greed. Seeking the dragon’s freedom for myself, I was defeated by my arrogance and the beasts’ love.


“I have been to the sky’s horizon. A lower horizon will be easily plundered, I am the pirate,” pondering the significance of reality and my newly grown beard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment