Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Eternal Life in Christ Jesus

This verse makes me think of how many well meaning people have asked me. ”Have you been saved?  Have you been born again?” It seems that a lot of them ask me this when they hear that I am Catholic. When I tell them I am ordained clergy they will still ask, “But are you born again.”
I am being evangelized by those who doubt my faith, my beliefs, and most of all God's mercy.
Sometimes, I just want to turn around and ask them, “Do you believe what is written in the Bible?”; "Do follow the commands of Jesus?"
In the gospel of John, Jesus says that you have to be born again to enter into the kingdom of heaven. But he also says so much more.  In this same gospel, he asks, "Have I been with you for so long a time and still you do not know me?" 
This may be where many are today. Jesus has been with us for so long a time and the world still does not know him. Too many Christians have taken only bits and pieces of Jesus.
Like baptism, it was not all Jesus ask us to do. How many forget the Eucharist?
Professor Scott Hahn points out that the New Testament of Jesus Christ is not those books in the bible but the Eucharist. All the Gospels - Matthew, Mark and Luke as well as the Epistles of Paul - speak of it. This is why these are called the New Testament.  This is the cup of the new and everlasting covenant. 
Jesus did not baptize anyone. He did give us the Eucharist and today many take it for granted.  John, chapter 6, says that when his disciples heard the mystery of the Eucharist and the secret of eternal life many of them left him because they could not do what he asked.
Today, Churches do not  identify as Eucharistic communities but Bible Churches. They take bits and pieces of the Bible and mold it to their needs. 
They then ask, "Have you been born again?"
I have been born again; I am baptized just as Jesus commanded, in water and the Holy Spirit. I live the new testament of Jesus Christ by taking part in the new and everlasting covenant; sharing in the body and blood just as Jesus commanded so that I may have eternal life. I obey the Church and her teachings as put forward through the apostles. 
As Christians we must hold on to all that Jesus Christ ask us to do. We have to live in Gods love and mercy to know the way of Christ. It is God’s mercy that changes us. In this change we are born again to eternal life.
It is not a magical prayer or a sacramental washing that allows us to be born again. Prayer and baptism are important and we should not forget our need for them. But, it is the mercy of Christ Jesus that changes us into new creature and brings us to  eternal salvation.
Prayer
Lord God, Jesus Christ our Savior, let us know the love of God and your mercy; so we can love and have mercy. It was through your love and mercy that we have been born again; let us be your witnesses to the world. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment