Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Sunday Reflection 6th Sunday of Easter - The Story of You

The Story of You

Several things influenced my reflection this week, all different. First, today is Mother’s day. The second thing was a movie. Third was a friend’s death. Last was words spoken in a personal introduction. These focused my thoughts on Jesus’ words of love, “Remain in me as I remain in you.”

Mother’s day is about unconditional love. We hear unconditional love in the Acts of the Apostles. Unconditional love John says is “not that we love him, but that he loved us.” Unconditional love usually associated with a mother’s love, based on nothing but us. It’s the love God has for us. God the Father loves us like a mother. Let’s look at the two.

Mother
· Always there for her children
· Defends children against all, die for them
· Fixes scraps, kisses hurts, mends broken heart
· Loves children even if they hurt/neglect her
· Loves children with unconditional love

God
· Always there for us,
· Jesus died for us, for our sins
· Forgives us - fixes us no matter what we do
· Loves us when we hurt/neglect him by sin
· Loves us with unconditional love


The movie told the story of a mother. She’s talked into going on an adventure. Self-conscious of scars and stretch marks, she sees ugly and is overwhelmed when asked to go for a swim. Then, one who loves her says she’s beautiful. He sees beauty in the scars and stretch marks; they’re part of her. He says “These scars are the story of your life.”

God knows from beginning of time, the story of you; a story that carries scars of sin and mistake. God looks at these and thinks you're beautiful. He still wants to be part of the story, “Remain in me as I remain in you.”

A friend died; he was younger than me. I remember him as a teenager sleeping on the floor of my parent’s house. His was a story with let’s say – adventure; so, he picked up lots of scars. He shared these adventures and scars with my brother. Growing older, facing illness and his mortality, his story changed. A lawyer, he worked with the poor, often without charge. He taught Sunday school to kindergartners and lived a life with prayer. The story of his earthly life ended at 50.

At the funeral, my brother asked about forgiveness. God knows the things we did were bad. Will God forgive him? I told him God’s unconditional love is forgiveness no matter how bad we’ve been. This is the salvation of Jesus. I told my brother to be happy, our friend’s story ended in Christ. “Remain in me as I remain in you.”

Friday, at a meeting with our Priest, I was introduced to the new student vice-president at Catholic Campus Ministries. Father said, “She is a beautiful soul.”

It all came together. We are beautiful souls; Christ remains in us. We live an adventure picking up the scars of sin. We see ourselves as ugly, unworthy of being loved, but that’s not what God sees. God sees the beautiful soul he created living the story of you. 

God loves us like a mother, unconditionally, scars and all. God sees beautiful, forgiven by the Christ in us. God desires for us to remain in him through Jesus Christ. The truth to be found is that the story of you begins in God and through grace, ends in God. “Remain in me as I remain in you.”

On this Mother’s day, remember the beautiful story of the soul found in your mother. Mothers see a beautiful story of you; just as God does.  

No comments:

Post a Comment