Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Homily Reflection - Knock - Knock - 5th Sunday OT

Knock- Knock
This week while studying the scriptures the thing that kept coming to me was knock-knock jokes. Play along: Knock- knock!  Who’s there? God. God Who?

Exactly – God’s knocking. Here I am send me! But, what do I tell them about God?  

Paul had it right, “By the grace of God I am what I am…,” I am my experiences, sins, and worldliness which get wrapped up in my message about God. Then in imperfection, we don’t understand God’s grace and mercy. He can’t want me; I’m so bad I can’t be forgiven.

Isaiah hears the knock-knock, “Woe is me, I am doomed! I am unclean….” Knock-knock and Paul replied, “I am not worthy to be an apostle.” Jesus came to Peter, knock-knock, “depart from me Lord… I am a sinful man.” Even these great servants of God stumbled in their imperfections.

We doubt. We’re imperfect.  

God is the opposite. God is infinitely good and all his works are good. Instead of imperfection, God is perfection. We’re not the reference point from where God starts. God knows God. That’s God’s starting point. 

Jesus gets in the boat with us; because, God is mercy. He is joy. God is forgiveness. He is tenderness and compassion.

God’s love is gratuitous, unbelievable, irrefutable, and abundant. God’s love is infinite and eternal. God’s love is completeness. God loves more than forever. No matter how much we imagine God’s love; God loves us more.

This is the abundance of God’s mercy. Mercy given to Isaiah, “…your wickedness is removed, your sin purged.” The mercy of salvation to Paul, “I passed on what I received that Christ died for our sins.” And Peter and his friends had Jesus “Do not be afraid … they all left everything and followed him.” God is mercy.

When we know this, we change. In the abundance of His mercy God enters our heart and transforms our life. It’s the message of conversion. It’s the message of being born again.

His mercy is given freely. That’s what Isaiah is telling us. That’s what Paul tells us. And, that’s what the Gospel tells us about Jesus. That’s what we are to tell the world.

God’s knocking. All of us together raise our hands, “Here I am Lord, send me! & I will sing your praises!”

“Y’all be good, y’all be Holy, and always preach the Gospel by the way you live and love.” 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment