Total Pageviews

Friday, June 24, 2016

The Path - Reflection - 13th Sunday OT C

The Path
The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost, begins “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler …”
The prophet Nathan told King David of God’s promise. Through David, God would build his Temple, the place of God’s presence. Stunned, David sat before the LORD saying: "Who am I, LORD…. (1 Chr 17:16) that you put me on this path?
David’s Psalm of praise is “You show me the path to life, fullness of joys in your presence.” (Ps 16:11)
The Lord called Elisha to be the prophet to succeed Elijah. Elisha sat before God and asked “Who am I, Lord?” Am I to be a prophet of God or man in the world? I have to follow the Lord and I have my father and my mother. (1 Kings 19:16b,19-21) His father was inheritance and position in the world; his mother responsibility. Leaving the world is a hard thing, even to follow the path the Lord has given you.
Jesus called directly “Follow me.” (Lk 9:51-62)  Those he called would sit there before the Lord with the same question, “Who am I, Lord?” It is a hard decision. Many answered, I need to go back and say good bye to my old life. I must bury my father or say farewell to my family. (Lk 9:51-62)
Who am I Lord; do I follow you or do I follow this world?
Psychologist tells us that individuals search for the absolute. Our Christian faith tells us the absolute is God. All are searching for the presence of God. Our problem is an infinite God in our finite reality. So we become our own God, our own absolute. The choice is follow God or follow the world.
This is the tension between God and our hearts that prevents the perfection of absolute communion with the presence of God through Jesus Christ. Those who get close to this perfection are called saints. This perfection is true freedom.
Jesus’ words are harsh; but, they offer freedom through the one who gave everything for us. To live Jesus is to live freedom through Christ’s truth of “yes” or “no.” It is freedom from the world that holds us back. (Gal 5:1.13-18)
At the same time, worldliness calls to the absence of freedom. It is saying “no” to the presence of God. We get better at sin and become slaves to sin. Our “no” can promote and serve injustice, destroying freedom.
Most people see these as wrong. Yet they still seek freedom in the world, in desires of the flesh, or in denying freedom to others. These oppose freedom. (Gal 5:1,13-18)
The absence of freedom holds us back from Him, the Holy One of God. It holds us back from the Kingdom of God. It keeps us from the presence of God. (Lk 9:51-62)
Who am I, Lord…? Do I follow the path God has set before me and follow Christ, or do I follow the world? It seems like an easy question; but, reality is hard.
Elisha never returned to his father and mother. He killed his oxen, burned his plow and fed the people of God. In freedom of a “yes,” he set off on the path the Lord set before him. (1 Kings 19:16b,19-21)
God has a plan for us; a path in life that leads us to the presence of God in Jesus Christ. This plan is not 'fate' but a ‘choice’ we make in freedom to have God’s presence in our lives. (Thomas Merton)  Jesus asks us to follow him and give our life to him. In the freedom of a “yes,” we build his temple, God’s presence in our life.
“The Road Not Taken” concludes, “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
Think about it; sit before the Lord saying, “Who am I, Lord…?” And pray this, “…show me the path to life, fullness of joys in your presence.”  

Y’all be good, y’all be holy and preach the Gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment