Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 15, 2017

A Little Blue Chicken - Homily Holy Saturday - Easter Vigil

When I was a little boy, the Easter Bunny would bring baby chickens. These chicks would be yellow or pink or green or blue.  When I was 3 or 4 years old, I got a blue one.
My brother and I both got one. That’s the only part of the story I remember: getting that little chicken on Easter and how happy I was. The whole story comes from mom and dad.
We lived in apartments in New Orleans which frowned on chickens; so, after a couple of weeks, my parents brought the baby chickens to my great uncle and aunt’s house is the woods of Mississippi.
It was an old house high up off the ground; the animals would go up under it in the heat of the summer to cool off. Every time we’d visit, I’d run under the house looking for my chicken.
My great uncle would tease me, “Boy how’d you like to see your chicken today, baked or fried?”  I was afraid I’d eat my pet chicken. My aunt would fuss at him for teasing me.
Years later, I asked Dad, did we eat my chicken. He’d say “That’s what chickens are for.”
I’m fifty-six; I’d like to have some chickens. Deep inside a part misses that little blue chicken.
I tell this story as a parable of humanity. In the beginning God created us. He looked at all He created and said it was good. We were happy when we were young and God was with us in the garden.
Humanity ruined it.  We forget that.
It was long ago and humanity was young. As humanity grew older, happiness in the Garden became a memory.  We remember parts of it. Even though we don’t remember exactly, we long for the part that’s missing. There is a God-size hole in us. We just don’t remember how to fill it.
We look to someone older to know the whole story. The story is that God is always with us even though we think differently.
God spoke to Moses, Why are you crying out to me? I am with you, I will protect you, I will lead you through the waters.
Isaiah writes those who are thirsty come to the water. Ezekiel says I will sprinkle clean water upon you to cleanse you from all your impurities….
The scripture from Romans says we were baptized into Christ Jesus… so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life.
The whole story points to the waters of baptism. The same baptisms most of us share, the baptisms we remember tonight; the baptism that brings us to God. Baptism brings Christ to the God size hole inside us.
Because of that hole, we long for God. We will never truly be happy until we fill that missing part of us.  
But my brothers and sisters here is the problem. Evil and meanness exists in the world. It tells us that the hole is not the absence of God. It’s the absence of self, of the world, of things we can get or buy or steal. Or maybe, the hole is something as simple as a little blue chicken.
This world tells us anything and everything will fill that hole. This world changes anything and everything to the acceptable; the thing that will make right; and the thing that will fill that longing in our heart. The world asks “How do we want to fill that hole inside us?”
Do we want to be baked of fried?
Nothing that comes from man or the world can fill that hole.
Things the world puts forward can never fill the hole that only God can fill. The world can change but the hole inside does not change. God does not change. Many will never acknowledge it: but, our longing for God is always there.
After the crucifixion, Jesus’ disciples and the apostles knew what caused the hole inside them.  But they forgot, He is always with us, even when we think differently.
The Gospel tells us, that Mary Magdalen and the other Mary came to see the tomb. The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid! You are seeking Jesus the crucified. He is not here, he has been raised … They went away quickly, fearful, yet overjoyed…
Christ Jesus meets us and tells us - Do not be afraid. Jesus came to change us.  And by that, Christ fills that God-size hole.
I look at everyone here: those who live in Christ, those about to be baptized, those to be confirmed and about to make a first holy communion. Your faces show the joy of people who seek Jesus and your hearts want Jesus more than anything.
By our baptism, we open that hole inside us so Jesus can fill it. By partaking in the Holy Eucharist, the risen Christ becomes part of us and fills that God-size hole in us.
That‘s what Jesus came for and what He died for. That’s what Christ’s resurrection was for.
Have a Holy and Happy Easter. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment