Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Follow Me - Homily Reflection 4th Sunday Easter

To live life is not a static thing, it’s dynamic. Being dynamic, we get off track. Let me give an example.
This week, there was a Tri-Council Leadership meeting with Our Lady of Fatima, St. Lawrence, and Christ the King. The president of the OLF council said, “Let’s go around the table and introduce ourselves and ministries.”
Then, he looked at me. I was sitting at the head of the table, I thought he wanted me to speak, so I jumped in and introduced myself.
But, that’s not what he wanted, he just looked at me.
I think back on it, I was like a young sheep, the gate was opened, I ran through it jumping and kicking in excitement, away from where I should be. But, our good pastor pulled me back in.
Picture all 6'3", 300+ pounds of me running, jumping, and kicking like a young sheep.
Don’t take this as an insult but you’re all sheep. Sometimes, sheep won’t make good choices. Sheep are stubborn. Sheep follow the crowd. Sheep become lost.
People are like sheep, I know that I am. Jesus, the Good Shepherd, has patience with all my sheep like faults. That’s why I need the Good Shepherd.
A shepherd calls to his sheep “follow me.” Jesus called his disciples with the same words: “follow me”
That’s what a good shepherd does. He leads. The flock follows. They follow with faith, totally trusting their safety to His care.
As for me, Jesus is my shepherd and I follow where my shepherd leads. My faith knows the Good Shepherd is totally on my side. My faith trusts where the Good Shepherd leads and knows that where He leads is good. He gives peacefulness inside me. He restores by soul. He guides me in right paths and gives me courage so that I fear no evil. The Lord is my shepherd.
He leads us to the waters of baptism.  Repent and be baptized, every one of you, receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism and the Holy Spirit allow us to hear the shepherd’s voice as he calls his sheep. We will recognize his voice because we are his sheep.
He calls each by name. The shepherd recognizes us and we recognize him.  
We may still misunderstand His voice, ignore it, resist it, fight against it, and get lost in the stubbornness of sin. Yet, in moments of wholeness or in times of trouble, we hear His voice. It rises within us.
Jesus said, “I am the gate for the sheep.” No matter how many times we butt our stubborn heads against the gate, the gate does not go away. By its protection, we have the chance to learn and change. We come to Jesus.
The gate is there to protect us and the good shepherd to watch over us.
Jesus said, “I am the gate,” the gate that protected us by his own life. Jesus said, “I am the Good Shepherd,” the Good Shepherd that defended us by his own life.
For our sake, He gave his own life. The Father has made both Lord and Christ this Jesus whom you crucified. We had gone astray like sheep because of sin; but, we return to the Good Shepherd. By his wounds we are healed and made free from sin, to live for righteousness.
To live life is not a static thing, but dynamic. Because it is dynamic, we get off track. We go astray like sheep. Like young sheep when someone leaves the gate open, we want to jump and kick and have fun. We can be like sheep that think they see better grass on the horizon, go to it, and become lost.
Sheep need a good shepherd:
  •  A shepherd with a strong constant voice;
  •  A shepherd concerned with what’s best for his sheep; and
  •  A shepherd that seeks out the lost.  

Each of us needs a good shepherd --The Lord is my shepherd.
It’s not an insult to be called sheep, when Jesus is our Good Shepherd. If I learn to recognize his voice and follow where he leads then goodness and mercy shall “follow me” all the days of my life.
My brothers and sisters, if you know Christ, it will be the same for you.
Yall be good, yall be holy and preach the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment