Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Old Goats - Homily Reflection Christ the King

At family gatherings there is always someone who says something upsetting.
It happened this thanksgiving. Every year, I hear, Billy, the older you get the more you look like your daddy. This year, I hear, Billy, you’re looking more and more like papaw. I look like my grandfather. Does that mean I'm old?
As a child, family gatherings were places you could hear interesting things. I remember certain men being called “old goats” by the ladies with either affection or disdain. Later, I learned an “old goat” is a lustful old man. As years passed, I understood why the term “old goat” came with a twinkle in the eye or scorn on the tongue.  
Also, a person was said to be “acting like a goat” if they did something socially and morally unacceptable. Look around, being “old goats” and “acting like a goat” may be the ambition of many.
In Jesus’ time, a sheep was simply more valuable than a goat.
Today, we celebrate Jesus Christ, King of the Universe. A King who came not as a mighty warrior but a humble shepherd. He is the shepherd who separates sheep from goats.
The Lord says. “I look after my sheep. I seek out the lost and bring back the stray. I care for the injured and the sick I heal.”
Every believer proclaims the Lord is my shepherd; But, many do not know him.
Jesus Christ the good shepherd is the King of the Universe. He is the good shepherd the world is looking to find. He is the one that protects and cares for them. He is the King that recognizes dignity and freedom in every person.
He is no ordinary king. The misguided declare wars in his name; but, he is a King of Peace without violence, prejudice, or persecution. He is the king who calls each to share oneness and unity with him and all of humanity.
He is King by faith. It’s faith that exists not in doctrine or principles, but lives by our action and works. It is not something we have to do but something we do. As King of the Universe, He is the Alpha and Omega alive in the world today.
The Alpha, the source of our creation, is the basis of our life and our faith. In the same way, the Omega is the fulfillment of our life and faith by our actions, which are Christ living in the world today. The Alpha and Omega separates the sheep from the goats.
Christ’s Kingship declares the oneness and unity of all humanity. Each of us is the magnificent and kingly image of God no matter how small or simple we see ourselves.
My family sees my father and my grandfather in me. My brothers and sister, we are to see Christ in each and every person. We are to see God in every part of our lives, even in suffering. Jesus says to see him in the hungry, the thirsty, the sick, the naked, the stranger, and the imprisoned.
Oneness and unity found in Jesus so God may be all in all; so Christ is all in all. (Col 3:11)
In a child’s simplicity, I thought “old goat” a term of endearment. Now, call me an old sheep following Christ, living oneness and unity with the shepherd. Old sheep will follow the master’s voice. It is the sheep that see Christ in all.
He is King and He is shepherd. He separates the sheep from the goats.
Old sheep pray for the “old goats” and those “acting like goats.” Preach the gospel, proclaim Jesus Christ to all the goats by your life strong in faith, hope, and love.
Jesus Christ, the King of the Universe, comes not a mighty warrior but a humble shepherd. He does not demand gold, riches, and might; He asks only, “Whatever you do for the least, you do for me.”
Feed the hungry.
Give drink to the thirsty.
Clothe the naked.
Care for the sick.
Welcome the stranger.
Visit the imprisoned.

Be good, be holy, and preach the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment