Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Flight Check - Reflection 19th Sunday OT


Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things it seen.
The first time I flew was an experience of faith. Everyone told me it was safe. It would be comfortable and I would enjoy it.
My company booked me in a small plane that carried 10 passengers. The pilot boards looks to the back and approaches me. And he asks “How much do you weigh?”
I am going to have to ask you to change seats so we can take off. That pilot was my prophet at that time. I moved and did exactly what he told me.
I had faith that God would watch over me, but you have to listen to his prophets. Even though it startled me that size could make the plane not fly properly, the truth was the pilot that prophet spoke a truth that only strengthened my faith.
The pilot was the speaking truth on the physics of flight, God’s creation. I believed him. He was preparing the plane, himself, and me for the flight.
Prepare for the flight; gird your loins.
Riding on that little small plane was one of my best flying experiences.
The Hebrews knew that the God’s judgement was coming. In faith they painted the door posts with the blood of a lamb so God’s judgement would pass over their household.
Pharaoh and the Egyptians did not believe, had no faith in God’s prophet. And the angel of death took the first born of all who did not have faith.
They were not going to prepare themselves for something they don’t believe.
Look around. We have all this sin in the world. Think of what is considered the seven deadly sins: lust, greed, avarice, sloth, gluttony, wrath, envy, and pride. Thinks that society have come to think is not that bad.
These things sell. They make money. And the people who profit from this are the ones who want to tell us what to think. They want to tell us what is right and what is wrong.
But Jesus tell us different.
Don’t get lazy in doing what you should be doing. Don’t forget what is right and moral and just.
Because we have been told that the Kingdom of God is coming. That the master is returning.
Just because we did what was right by world standards or because we identify ourselves as Christian or we come to mass does not mean we get a free pass when Christ comes again.
Believers should be making ready. Make that preflight check. Gird your loins. “Be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.”
Speak out against sin and all that is wrong. Prepare for eternal life like a pilot who completes the preflight check for his safety and the safety of all he is responsible for on the plane.
If we have not done these things remember we will all be judged by what we have been given. “Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.”
Friends, I share these words with you at the end of each of my reflections: Be good, be holy, and preach the gospel by the way you live your life and love one another. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment