Total Pageviews

Monday, June 15, 2020

Feast of Corpus Christi - A Reflection

Yesterday, I was grilling. I have a pellet grill; you set the temperature and watch the time. But, a two year old in the house gives you something to watch.

My grandson wants to do exactly as I do. I put a lawn chair near the grill. He put his between me and the grill. I had to tell him, No child, that’s hot.

I would adjust the temperature dial and would move to something else and he would go for that same control. I’d warn him, No child, that’s hot.

He would laugh; it was if I had challenged him to do what he was told not to do.

We start young: not listening and doing our own thing. It’s always been that way. God told Adam and Eve, don’t eat from that tree. Basically, God said, No child, that’s hot!

We know how that went. Here we are; Still not listening to God’s word! Not by bread alone does one live, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of the LORD.

The apostles warned us - don’t listen to the false prophets. Don’t listen to those who try to change the word of God. We are children reaching for the dangerous things. We find it a challenge.

One of the things the world challenges now is the real presence in the bread and wine, the body and blood of Christ on the Eucharistic table.

It’s not the prepackage communion kits that some Churches hand out. It’s bread and the wine consecrated on the altar of God by his priest, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

The bread we break, the cup of blessing we bless; it is the body and blood of Christ.

But we seemed to have forgot that. We are stubborn children that just want to do what they want to do. They want to get close to “Hot”, what is evil and of the devil in this world.

It is so easy for the many to believe in the bad in the world. All Christians believe in the evil that is all around us. However, some who call themselves Christians want to make the evil into good. Think about all the things that God the father tells us No child, that’s hot! He got a list.

He also gave us a way to be better. He gave us Jesus, who gave all that he had for our salvation. He told us to follow him. If we don’t want to know that “Hot” in this world then follow him.

And he gave us food for that journey. I am the living bread that came down from heaven, whoever eats this bread will live forever;and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world .

It is a statement that divides the Church. If we believe the Gospel, it is Jesus’ own words.

And just like so many of those who walk with Jesus when he was on this earth, many say surely he doesn’t mean that it is really his flesh and his blood.

But he did.

Many have taken the idea of a personal relationship with Jesus as one which they make up their own rules. It’s all about them. It’s not about Jesus. It’s not about the whole world. It’s not about the one loaf, the many that is the Church.

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Can you really have a personal relationship with Jesus, if you don’t believe what he says? Are you really a Christian if you believe it all about you? If you can’t believe in Christ’s presence in the bread that is his body and the wine that is his blood, where is your faith?

Jesus’ body and blood was given to us to nourish His church. Pray brothers and sisters that we may always walk strengthened by this food.

Be good, be holy and preach the gospel by the way you live your life and share his love with one another. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment