Total Pageviews

Monday, September 21, 2020

I Found Jeezee - Homily Reflection 25th Sunday OTA

Mass on Facebook

Father asked me Wednesday to share a homily this week. I prayed for it to be inspired by the Holy Spirit. I read the scriptures and prayed “Come Holy Spirit, inspire these words to kindle the fire of your love.

The first thing put on my heart was St. Cornelius and St. Cyprian. Wednesday was their feast day. They are great examples of workers in God’s vineyard.  

In 251 AD, they fought the heresy of Novatainism, which taught if a person lapsed in faith even if being tortured; they were no longer a Christian. They could not return to the church to ask forgiveness. This heresy wanted the Church to say “no” to forgiveness.

There are lapsed Christians; but, was that the message God wanted me to share. I prayed and as I sat in my recliner reading scripture, my 2 year old grandson comes running into the room.

“Poppy, I found ‘Jeezee’, I found ‘Jeezee.’” He was giggling, smiling, and clutching something tight to his belly.

He opens his hands to show me a small crucifix I keep on my desk. “Poppy, I found ‘Jeezee’”. He was happy holding Jesus tight.

On the lips of children Lord you have found perfect praise. God is so great. He sent a child with his message that this parable is about finding “Jeezee” Jesus.

This parable has different interpretations. The one most familiar is this; workers come early and they are paid a full day’s wage. Workers come at mid-morning and they are paid a full day’s wage. Workers come at noon and they are paid a full day’s wage. They come at three and even at the end of the day and they are paid a full day’s wage.

That shouldn’t surprise us. In Jesus’ parables, the landowner is God. The one who goes out into the world is Jesus.

To earn the wage the Lord is paying, it doesn’t matter when one comes to the Lord. He pays all the same wage, That wage is the gift of forgiveness, the reward of salvation, the joy of the resurrection, and the promise of eternal life. The righteous receive this reward no matter if they are the early believers of a thousand years ago or us today.

It doesn’t make any difference when you come to God, Jesus forgives the same.  “Turn to the LORD for mercy - our God is generous in forgiveness.”

The workers complained it wasn’t fair.

It is unfair. It’s unfair because it’s far beyond what we can comprehend as fair. God's goodness goes way beyond our small sense of “what is right.”  God's ways are not ours. As high as the heavens are above the earth are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts.

In the parable, the landowner asks the complaining workers “are you jealous because I am generous.” The literal translation is “are you giving me the evil eye because I am good.”

The world doesn’t want goodness. People in the world do not want to forgive each other and the world doesn’t want God to forgive either. Remember, the heresy in the early church St. Cornelius and St. Cyprian fought against. It said “no” to forgiveness.

That is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel tells of God’s generous mercy and forgiveness. It proclaims the promise of the Kingdom of Heaven..

It doesn’t matter if you found “Jeezee” in youth or old age; because, God is good. God is generous. And, God is loving.

We know this. The Church teaches this. But, instead of being a happy, giggly child of God holding tight to Jesus, yearning for the Kingdom of Heaven here on earth, people give each other the envious, jealous, evil eye.

Wednesday night, I was reading these words, for to me life is Christ … and Liam full of life and joy comes running with this message “Poppy, I found ‘Jeezee’, I found ‘Jeezee.’”

Today we come to find Jesus. We come to worship God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We come to partake in the Holy Eucharist. We wait for the master to call us. We wait for our reward.

Friends, wait as a child of God, happy and holding tight to Jesus.

Be good, be holy, and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ by the way you live and love. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment