Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Some Do and Some Do Not (Mt 10:5-15)


My secular job is a Safety Professional.  I currently work for an insurance company and am responsible for evaluating companies business practices, identifying hazards, and working with the company to make it better.  I make a lot of people mad.   This week, only one company has told me that I do not know what I am talking about and to keep my nose out of their business.

I can understand this resentment.  I am a stranger,  who comes in and looks at their company and then after just a few hours or maybe a few visits, I tell them what is wrong.  The reply I get is usually not a good one.  Usually a force smile and something along these lines, "This is my company" or "I built this company" or "Who are you to tell me that what I am doing is wrong."

My answer is that these issues are important to my company; but, it is a decision that they have to make.  Some do and some do not.

Although I would rather work with the man working on the machine, I am well educated.  I have a BS plus additional hours. I have a double major emphasis business and sociology and a minor emphasis in construction.   I have graduate level courses in Business Management and Safety Management from LSU, Kentucky, Minnesota, Indiana University Pennsylvania, Oklahoma State, and several smaller colleges.  I also hold professional certifications in many different areas.   Still people don't want to listen to me.

The apostles had it a lot tougher than I do.  They were fishermen, tax collectors, zealots, and revolutionaries.  Twelve men following an itinerant, wandering preacher whose message was about loving God and loving your neighbor.  A man who told the religious leaders of the community that their concept of religion and worship of God was wrong.  

Jesus sent his disciples to preach to Israel.  Twelve messengers trained by the Lord.  They were to cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, and cast out demons.   Sent to spread the news of the Kingdom of Heaven, they began a message that has continued for almost 2000 years.   The reply the world gives is "Get out of my business," and "This is my life," or  "Who are you to tell me what I am doing is wrong!"

In my job, I have seen people ignore what I have told them or failed to follow through.  This has consequences.  I have seen companies that employed many people and provided security for their families close.   I have seen people seriously injured or die because they failed to what should be done.   Maybe, it was not because they did not listen to me but many times it is a large contributing factor.   

The disciples were sent to share the message.  Christians have repeated this message to the world.  Many fail to hear the message and Jesus said there would be consequences.   It is a simple message of love, but a hard one to live by.  It is a message important to those who believe; but, it is a decision the individual must make.  Some do and some do not. 

In my secular life my message is for success in things of this world.   Many do not listen.   In my spiritual life, I speak of the Good News of Jesus Christ, the love of God and the love of my neighbor.  People will say, "Stay out of my Business!"  I pray all will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment