Total Pageviews

Friday, September 6, 2013

Me Is A Complicated Thought

Recently during a family dinner, one of my dining partners was my great niece, a kindergartner.  When asked why she did something, she gave a wonderful answer. “You wouldn’t understand - it’s complicated.”  The complication's of a six year old life.

It's complicated is what people think about being a Christian.  Jesus taught in parables.  What was Jesus trying to tell us?  Those who seek his word have to think about what was said.   Its complicated.  But, Jesus' simple truth is love, forgiveness, and humility.

Sometimes, we are like that little child.  We live in a world that revolves around us.  Conversation and understanding is based on “me, me, and me some more.”  Nobody understands me, it's complicated. 

As a result of this relativism, the agendas put forth in the world are too often flawed.  If it is important to me, then it should be important priority to the world.  Ideals based on "the me" becomes the social conversation and changes perceptions in the world.  The subjects of our conversation, no matter how contradictory to reason, becomes acceptable.  A conversation without reason is complicated.
 
If however, Jesus' message is in our thoughts, our conversations become based in Christ.  We grow and become like the disciples.  In the Gospel of John, the disciples began to understand and no longer heard only parables but Jesus' message saying “Now your are talking plainly. . . .” (Jn 16:29)   They lost the relativism of their thoughts, language, and conversation.  They changed. 

This change starts within ourselves.  It is a change in "the me" but is not a change based on "the me."   The change becomes our Christ centered thoughts of love, forgiveness, and humility.  We share it and our conversation begins.   Without hate, without violence, and without prejudice, we converse with others.   Soon, it is a conversation to the world.   If everyone is no longer thinking only about themselves and their thoughts are of love,forgiveness, and humility, they will find  "me."  It's complicated, but it is easy to learn with Christ as our teacher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment