Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sunday Reflection: 30th Sunday - Locked In

Locked In
What if we were locked inside ourselves and only God could hear us?
Chris Klein and Jennifer Lowe were born with cerebral palsy. Both have issues with movement and neither is able to speak. A documentary film tells their story. It’s the story of miracles.
It is the story of how they found their voices. Neither has vocal speech but both have found their voice through a device that allows them to communicate. 
This is also a story of remarkable faith. Their story is "Only God Could Hear Me"
The title comes from Jennifer.  When she was seven, Jennifer realized that God could hear her and she began asking God to help her find a way to communicate with others. She asked God to put her thoughts into the minds of the people around her so they would know her words and they could speak for her.
Chris sums his life up by Philippians 4:13 “I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.” He says, “I do things because I rely upon the strength of Christ in my life. He showed me all that I need to rely on is his strength.”
Like Bartimaeus these two young people were discriminated against, unheard by most, and outside society. I look at them and I see Bartimaeus. Separated from the rest of the world, they knew God.
In silence, Chris and Jennifer called out to God.
Bartimeaus called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me.” Although everyone else rebuked him and told him to be silent, God heard him.
Jesus said “Call him.”
Bartimaeus asked for mercy. He didn’t ask for sight; he wanted to see.
He was healed by his faith. Then, immediately he received his sight and he followed Jesus on the way. Bartimaeus could see the truth.
Why is truth important? Why is truth important to me, to all of us?
It is because truth is the foundation of all relationships. You can build relationships in others ways but when there is a lack of truth the relationship is going to die.
A relationship with Jesus Christ is based on the truth of whom He is and who I am. I am a sinner.
The truth is I am a person blinded by sin and wearing a cloak that society has put on me. But, Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our justification, redemption, and salvation.
Today the readings are packed with truth. Open your heart to them. But, here is the truth I share today. “Take courage… Jesus is calling you.” God is a merciful and loving God. God is not a God to be feared.
Take courage in the truth of God’s gentleness and mercy. Jeremiah wrote that the blind, the lame, the mothers, and those with child, He consoles. He guides them so none will stumble.
The Psalms sings praise and rejoicing for the good things God has done.
Hebrews confesses that Christ, our high priest. is patient with our ignorance, erring, and weaknesses.
Here is another truth. You may not see my blindness; but, I am Bartimeaus.  My cloak may look like yours but it is truly mine. My cloak is my sins, addictions, and troubles. Its cloth it is made of is my life. It locks me in.
Jesus calls me.
By faith, I see the truth. I have the courage to throw off the cloak the world has placed on me. I follow him.
Unlike Chris, Jennifer, or Bartimaeus, others may not see what keeps us quiet. But those three knew one thing, if the world ignores you and no one else hears you cry, God does.
Throw off all the things that keep us from Christ. All things are possible by faith through the power of Him who strengthens us: the God of mercy; the God of love; the God of forgiveness; the God of miracles.
Brothers and sisters take courage. He hears us and He calls us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment