Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Jesus' 4 letter Word - Hate - Homily Reflection 23rd Sunday OT

Jesus said Hate – 23rd WeeK  OT

My grandson turned three Saturday. I watch him learn about Jesus and how to say his prayers. He loves to dip in fingers in the fount and make the sign of the cross. I am so proud of him and his parents for their faith.
I love that little boy. I love my children, both my daughters, son-in-law and future son-in-law. God blessed me with a beautiful wife that I love so much. I love my parents, my mother- in-law, my brothers, brother-in-law, and all my extended family. I thank God for such a wonderful family.
God has given me another family, all of you. I am blessed. I love my church family. Every week, I try to write a reflection or preach a homily that expresses Christ’s love. 
This week these are the words of the Gospel: “If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.”
How am I supposed to understand such a hard thing?  It takes a lot of praying.
During my praying and reflection, I realized some things.
First, I’m not a theologian. Another is that in a perfect world, those words would go away. They make me, the weak Christian disciple, uncomfortable.  But, comfort was not why Jesus came. That’s why he said those words.
I realized both love and hate are forms of passion. They are the opposite ends of the spectrum, but both are passion. The absence of passions of love or hate is indifference not caring at all.
Love is the passion for everything that you consider good and beautiful. Hate is the passion for the things you do not consider good and beautiful.
The sin in most of us is that good and beautiful is found in ourselves, our thoughts and beliefs. We love what we consider to be like us and hate what we consider not like us. And in these “We love to hate!”
Look around us. Conservative, progressive, and liberal politicians are at each other’s throat. If a representative of one says something, the others attack with hate. They attack with passion detesting everything the other represents.
During a psychological evaluation in Deacon Formation, you’re asked your thoughts on repulsive situations. I asked, “Who could find those outrages acceptable?”  The answer, “For some there is no wrong in these situations. They would boast of them.”
I want to make this clear, I am not saying that conservative, progressives, and liberals are all wrong, but what is their passion? Wisdom tells us, “the corruptible body burdens the soul.”
That is why we are to look deeper when Jesus said hateWhat is within our grasp we find with difficulty….”
Think of the parable. What kind of builder starts to build a tower without a good foundation and supplies to finish the work?  What kind of leader goes to battle without making sure his forces are strong enough?
Jesus’ teachings are culture changing. He was against the status quo. He was against what were the normal expectations of the world. Jesus calls his disciples to a passion against the worldly thinking represented by father, mother, spouse and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life.
Jesus is calling those who follow him to be more. He asks his disciples to have a strong foundation and the stamina to battle against those who will oppose them.
Jesus' disciples are to be a tower standing true and tall for others to see like their family, community, and all of society. The disciples are to be an example and have the strength and stamina to denounce self and proclaim Christ. To be an example so the paths of those on earth can be made straight.
St. Paul is a true disciple of Christ. He writes as true disciples, we change. This was his message to Philimon and Onesimus. St. Paul tells them to have passion for what is of Christ not the norms of the culture and society of the times.  
What are the norms of our times: hate speech, prejudice, bigotry, attacking the dignity of others, and even violence. Jesus is none of these things. These deny the image of God in other human beings. Do not fall to these passions!
One of my favorite verses is from the first letter to the Corinthians:  The kingdom of God depends not on talk but on power.
Jesus asks us to have a passion against worldly things. To have passion for all that is good and all that is good is Jesus. This passion is not found in talk, but by the power of the Holy Spirit.
This Sunday, Mother Teresa is recognized by the Church as a saint. Once, Mother was asked, “How did she continue?
In my words, she was asked: How did she remain a disciple; how did she stand tall; how did she have the strength and stamina to denounce self and proclaim Christ?
She answered “Just Pray.”
I am not a theologian but I like that answer. I am a disciple. I try to be the tower but I often fail. It is by Christ Jesus, my redeemer, that in spite of my weaknesses I have strength.
Then, it came to me. I have so many people I love so much because I love him so much.

Yall be good, yall be holy and preach the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment