Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Safety First - Reflection 8th Sunday OTA

The psalmist writes safety can only be found in God: God my safety and glory; God my rock, my refuge, my stronghold; Only in God is my soul at rest; God is my salvation.

A safety professional in everyday life, I believe safety first. As a Deacon, a servant of God, I believe prayer and love is the best safety program.

Here in Louisiana, Sen. Bill Cassidy’s town hall meeting achieved national attention with angry protests and mayhem.

National media did not cover the prayer of invocation by Louisiana State Chaplain Michael Sprague. The prayer was booed.

The Times- Picayune Newspaper quoted the senator’s thanks to the Chaplin "Thanks for doing that, Mike," Cassidy said. "Wow, they booed the name of Jesus." (They booed Jesus)

For those who hear this, do not condemn the protest. Do not condemn the discussion. Do not condemn the opposition to Sen. Cassidy and his views. Instead, recognize the vitriol targeted on a prayer. I am not sure of the words, but I hope it was a prayer for peace, understanding, and guidance in decision making.

Here is the concern. Those who condemned the prayer condemned my faith, my beliefs, my safety, my rock, my refuge, and salvation. It was condemned by people who said they were asking for their beliefs to be heard and considered. 

Their concerns are safety, refuge, and salvation. The difference is that they were not seeking any of these things from God, but their faith is in human authority, the government.

After the prayer, the protesters shouted for separation of Church and State.

If anyone even comes close to understanding the mystery of God, then they should know one thing. God is not about politics. God is not about rallying people around political platforms. People are more than that to God who looks on each and every one of us equally with the love of parent upon a child.

Blessed are the peoples whose leaders call upon God for peace, understanding and guidance in decision making.  This is the heart of a servant. These are leaders that are stewards of the people.

These are the ones working below deck on the ship; rowing diligently and deliberately to keep things moving forward, on track, and for the good of all. 

This is the definition of a servant. God’s stewards truly seek the kingdom of God and his righteousness to be trustworthy.

If his prayer was earnest, then Sen. Cassidy truly is a servant and steward of God for the people. And for all of those who boo Jesus, all those who oppose God, the Lord will manifest the motives of hearts and bring truth to light.

The people cry, “The Lord has forsaken me, my LORD has forgotten me.”  

Remember this; No one can serve two masters. You will either hate one and love the other or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

What is it that we worship more than God – Politics, Ourselves, Money, Pleasure-seeking? People place their safety, their refuge, and their salvation in politicians or a political party, in themselves, in money and having more, or in how much pleasure can derive from this life.

The psalmist speaks for many; True safety can only be found in God, my safety and glory; God my rock, my refuge, my stronghold; Only in God is my soul at rest; God is my salvation.

Safety first; prayer and love is the best safety program.

May all who pray God, believe and live their prayers. May hearts that condemn and judge, be open to God’s peace, understanding, and guidance.  May all who cry out that the LORD has forsaken us, forgotten us, remember these words:  Even should you forget, I will never forget.

The Times Picayune said, “the loudest folks … were having none of it.”

The world has so many sources of mammon; people forget about God.  Do not fear, the God who saved the psalmist, the God who saves me will surely save others. Prayer and love is the best safety program.

Y'all be good, y'all be holy and preach the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment