Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Duped - Reflection 22nd Sunday OTA

I love to look at life through the scripture readings. This week was a great example of how life and the scripture readings sync. This post is very Catholic and very apologetic. 
It’s 1978; a group of friends stand on the football field at the beginning of their senior year. We are young, powerful, and full of life. If you are young, you think you will be young forever; but, if you are older, you have learned that is not the case.
Thirty-nine years later, several of us came together for a memorial service for our coach and mentor.  I looked at my friends and the words of Jeremiah came to mind.
You duped us, O Lord
We have grown older, some fatter, and some bald.
The younger versions of us thought we could live life in our terms, young, powerful, and full of life.
Jeremiah wanted to be a prophet in his own terms. He was duped not by God but by his own plan. God touched Jeremiah’s mouth to prophesy God’s plan not his.
That’s our problem today. We think God should do what we want. We want to make our plan God’s plan. If we think we can do this we are dupes and fools.  
Look around, advertisement, media, society tells up what the perfect human being  is and it is probably not any of us. It’s not grey hair, potbellies, and broken bodies. But that is where God’s plan for every one of us will eventually lead if we are blessed with a long life.
Scripture tells us “Do not confirm yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind to discern the will of God, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”
And too many will say, my will is my god’s will.
In a recent article a minister said his denomination recites the Apostles’ Creed. He will tell those who ask that it is not necessary believe the Apostles’ Creed, especially the part about the Virgin Mary.
Even those who identify themselves as ministers of God speak with the tone of Jeremiah, I will not mention him; I will speak in his name no more.  
At dinner the night of the memorial, I was speaking to someone about coming into full communion with the Catholic Church by preparing to receive the Blessed Sacrament.
He asked, “Do I need to do that?” "Are you telling me that will keep me out of heaven?"
I cannot say what will keep a person out of heaven.  
These are Jesus words, “Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood shall have eternal life and I shall raise them on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink by blood abide in me and I in them.” (Jn 6:53-56)
At one time, every Christian believed these words. But over the years, because of this teaching many turned back and no longer followed him. (Jn 66)
People say, God forbid, no such thing shall ever happen.
But Jesus rebukes those who try to change God’s plan. “Get behind me Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking not as God does but as humans do. Whoever wishes to come after me must deny self, take up his cross, and follow me.”
Even Jesus did not change God’s plan. For Christ Jesus who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself taking the form of a servant, born in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death on the cross. (Phil 2: 6-8)
That is why I say, I was duped Lord, not by God but by my own selfishness and human weakness. We make ourselves fools because we think we gain the whole world. And everyone else tends to listen and believe the dupes and become dupes themselves.
If I make a god in my image, then my thoughts are that god’s thoughts; my desires are that god’s desires.
In this foolish state we think we can stay young (without sin) but life catches up with us.
One day, we will look back and realize we have been duped. It will be too late for many because Jesus warned that the Son of Man will come and repay all according to his conduct.
Listen to what Jesus says not what the world wants Him to say.
May the eyes of our hearts be enlightened to know the surpassing greatness of his power for us who believe, according to his will. (Eph 1:19)
Yall be good, yall be holy and preach the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen

1 comment: