Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Dark Hole - Reflection 4th Sunday of Lent - B

Praise be Jesus Christ, for ever and ever. Amen.

I have been in love with Jesus my entire life. As a child, I was always looking for him. As an adult, I felt called to him. But, I was stubborn and wanted to live life my own way.

And for that reason, especially as I look back on some of the stupid things I have done, I am so grateful that God is merciful.

As I grew, I always knew that God wanted something from me. I could hear him calling me to a vocation. As a young man, I contemplated becoming a Baptist preacher like my father. God just never revealed a way for that to happen.

Now, as a Deacon I see God has been leading me to this vocation for so long. During this journey, I have had a relationship with God, through Christ Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. But even the best relationships can suffer when one is in that relationship is hard-headed.

That hard-headedness has allowed this world has lead me to places of darkness, I should have never been. These were times when my sins added infidelity upon infidelity in my relationship with God. Yet, God always shielded me with his angels, persons around me that were His messengers speaking to my heart and steering me closer to Him.  

Then, God Himself allowed me to be shut me down. He gave me time to think about our relationship.

I had pneumonia, my lungs had collapsed. The doctors had to operate and before surgery a doctor asked if he could pray with me. Then he told me to count backwards from 10.

My last words were Amen, ten, nine….

The sleep from the anesthesia was dark. There was no light. There were no thoughts or dreams. There was nothing.

When I awoke, all I could think about was a life without God. It was realizing a life of darkness and nothingness; and, a life without love. Without God, there was no love for my wife, children, parents. In that darkness and nothingness there was no relationship with God who had always been there with me.

Although, I had always loved God, from that moment on, I was passionately in love with God. The God I knew was true and living. I was passionately in love with God, the Father, creator of all things, and the only Son, God who is at the Father’s side, and God the Holy Spirit, that is the breath of life in us, the love about us, and the passion for God that is in us.

This was all because of God’s rich mercy. Lord let my tongue be silenced if I ever forget you.

Most persons in the world are in the darkness and nothingness that exists without a relationship with God.

It has happened before like in the story of the people of Judah. They thought they were strong and important. They didn’t need God. They mocked the messengers of God, despised His warnings, and scoffed at His prophets. They turned their back on a relationship with God and brought about darkness to the people of Judah.

Sounds like things today. People are so in love with themselves they have forgotten God. They have forgotten their brothers and sisters. The mock what God has revealed in scripture. They despise the truths of creation. They scoff at His Church.

All they want is instant gratification, instant knowledge, and immediate pleasure. Science is important unless the science does not prove their point. The internet and their smart phones have become their god.

Truth has become unimportant.  Opinions have become the relevant. And to a person in this reality, God is no longer as important as the debate of the gender of a toy potato

Jesus warned “The light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light, so that his works might not be exposed.”

Sometimes God uses a worldly culture that is against him to teach a lesson.

One thing for sure, God doesn’t need me. God doesn’t need any of us believers. But, in his compassion, He enjoys us. He loves us. In His mercy, He forgives us. He proved that sending his son, Christ Jesus to be raised up on that cross so that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life.  

But most are stubborn and want to live in their own way. That is until they learn there is a better way to live than in the mess and misery of sin. In His endless mercy, God forgives the mistakes and missteps we make in this world. He lights the darkness. A person just needs to know where to go to find that light. It is to Jesus.

Friends, believers, Christians raise the cross of Christ for the world to see.

Be good, be holy and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. Amen.

Praise be Jesus Christ, for ever and ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment