Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fear Not, For I am Your Shield (Gn 15:1)

I received an email forwarded to me by a friend.  The email was from a young woman who was seeking help for her friend.  In her email, she asked, "What would Jesus do?"  It was not her friend's fault that she was born with bad parents. (my phrasing)  It was not her child's fault that he was born into almost poverty.  The young lady who wrote the email went on to say, you know how I feel about religion and stuff, but ignoring this girl, who is crying out for help, is not a Christian thing to do.

First, I don't know how she feels about "religion and stuff"; but, I also think, she does not know.  

Second, as a father, a grandfather, and a soon to be deacon, my heart aches for the young woman and her child.  I immediately went to work to try to find some help for the young lady.  I know of several ministries in this area that work with young unwed mothers.  All but one of the agencies, I provided was a non-profit that was run or started by a religious organization.  The one that was not was a State funded agency that identified the other organizations as sources of help.

I wonder how this young woman seeking help felt about "religion and stuff?"  In our small city, there are ministries that are there to help in some little way.  It never matters how those who need help feel about religion.

The atheist Madeline Murray O'Hair said that "Atheist believe that hospitals should be built instead of Churches"  How many hospitals have been built by atheist and how many built by the Church?  It is the same for organizations offering help and support for those in need.  It is easy to speak of magnanimous acts.  In reality, it is the indifference manifest by lack of action that reveals true intentions.  Christians realize that indifference is true sin.

God told Abram, "Fear not for I am your shield. . ."  It is a truth even today.  To the ancient world, the shield was important not only for protection but also for rescue.  In battle, the shield was used to stand behind for protection against attack.  The shield was also an implement of rescue.  When a person was not able to continue, the shield was used to carry them to safety.

Maybe I do know how this young person feels about "religion and stuff"; but, maybe she doesn't know.  In a time of need, she fell behind the shield that God provided.   She asked the shield to carry the wounded.  How she feels about "religion and stuff" is shown by her  caring.  She did not show the indifference of those who truly do not believe.  Her shield was built in the Church, she only needs to hold tightly to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment