Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My Heart is Glad - Billy Boy

When I was a little boy sometimes I was scared by the world.  I was a little shy, a little overweight, a little poor, and maybe all of these made me a little insecure.  But there were many people in my life that lifted me up.  One was a teacher that I had in kindergarten.  She would sing nursery rhymes to our class.  It seemed that there were some she would sing directly to me.  The songs touched my heart then and still do today.  My favorite was Billy Boy.  If you don't remember the song, it started like this:
               “Oh, where have you been, Billy Boy, Billy Boy?
                 Oh, where have you been, Charming Billy?”

More than 47 years later, I can still hear her singing that song in my head.  I still hear her voice.  I don’t remember her name or her face, but I remember the melody, her voice, and how it made me feel.  I do remember that she was young.  I remember she had blonde-red hair and her voice was joyful.

Through-out out my life, whenever I doubt myself, that song still comes back to me.  Remembering the song, her voice and her smile, I am no longer insecure.  A song that a young teacher sung to feed the spirit of a six year old boy still makes my soul rejoice today.  The memory feeds me good thoughts, good feelings and confidence.

So, how do I feed my soul today?  I turn to God and I feel his grace in me.  Praying, I open myself to God.  I feel the joy and love that is Christ touching my heart.

In Psalms, the words of King David “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.”  They psalm continues, “Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body rests secure.”  I was touched by a small bit of God’s good when I was six years old through a teacher singing to me.  It is a good that has been with me all my life.  It has made my heart glad and my soul rejoice.  Many times in that memory, I felt secure.  God was there in that little song. God is still with me and has always been with me.  No matter where I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment