Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 20, 2014

That's What My Momma Told Me

In the time before cell phones, one Friday, I came home from college.  After briefly visiting with my parents (basically a hello and what do we have to eat), I left again.  I headed out to go fishing and camping with my brother and friends. 

We fished all weekend.  Then, Sunday morning about 6 o'clock, a game warden walks into our camp and asks for me.  He had a single message, "Your momma's looking for you, you need to go up to the landing and call her."

Even though the game warden did not say there was a problem, my dad was sick and I thought the worse. Everybody at the landing looked at me when I arrived.  They all knew more than I did. 

I called my mom.  When I hung up, the old man at the bait shop said, "You've got to be the biggest baby I ever saw."  My mother had called speaking to the owner of the bait shop.  "Have you seen my baby? He's a football player about 6'4" and 275 pounds." He shared it with every one in the bait shop.  They all laughed.

I was mad. I was 22 years old and did not even live at home.  My mother did not apologized but explained that she loved me.  She only did what she did out of love.  Some day, I would understand.

I promised myself,  I'm not going to be like my momma.  I'll never embarrass my children like she embarrassed me.  I forgot that promise and have embarrassed them many times.  My eyes have been opened to what my mother preached to me, "Tell me where your at, tell me when you'll be home, let me know."   I have experienced worry and concern in my own heart.  My mind has been opened to understanding what she did.  I understood love.

Christ does this.  Jesus Christ opens our eyes and our minds to understanding.  He opened Mary's eyes at the tomb to recognize him. On the road to Emmaus, the risen Christ opened the eyes of Cleophas and the other disciple with the breaking of the bread.  Christ Jesus opened the minds of the Apostles so they could understand the scripture.  As true Christians, our minds and hearts are to be opened as well.

In the catechism, it states "it pleased God, in his goodness and wisdom, to reveal himself and to make known the mystery of his will.  His will was that men should have access to the Father, through Christ, the Word made flesh . . ."  God the Father, loves us so much that through Christ he opens our eyes and through Christ he opens our minds. We understand why God the Father did, why Christ did, everything that was done. It was out of Love.

That's the same thing my Momma told me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment