Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day and Holy Trinity Sunday

John 3:16
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

As fathers and parents, shouldn't we love our sons and daughters so much that we show them Christ and give them a life with God so they might have eternal life?  Isn't it a shame that we are too stubborn to do this? Moses spoke to God about those he lead our of Egypt, “This is indeed a stiff-necked people.” I  think it is of our own stiff necked attitude that our priest, Fr. Job speaks of during mass when he says; “It is time to be serious about God.” 

We are serious about so much in life.  We are serious about our job.  We are serious about our family.  We are serious about our stuff. Do we have that same attitude for the importance of God in our lives? 

The Israelites called God; the God of our Fathers. He was the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and of Jacob (Israel). I actually think in the modern world we have lost this to some extent. We all look for a personal relationship with Christ, but Christ is the one who shows us to the Father,  who is rich in kindness and fidelity. Maybe we've lost that idea. On Fathers Day, I  suggest that maybe this relationship with God is being lost because we do not show our children the God of their fathers.

In my little church, I look around and I see families. I see fathers, mothers, and children coming together to worship. So many more families come to mass, than even ten years ago. It makes me proud to see men being fathers and the religious head of their household. I see fathers showing their children the importance of a relationship with God. I see parents on their knees praying.  I see them partaking of the Eucharist. I see fathers being the family’s religious leader as they worship God.

However, at the same time, I still see children come to the parish school of religion without either parent.  I see mothers alone with children at mass, because the father did not come.  The mothers makes excuses: he is not Catholic, he works hard all week, and he plays golf or hunts or fishes. The father's excuse is "I love my family but I work hard all week so the weekend is the only time I have for myself." They work hard but forget the most important job.  The job that shows their families where to find the God of their fathers?

It is time to be serious about God! We worship a Triune God. We are to have a relationship to God through Christ in the Holy Spirit and worship with our families in this type of a relationship. Like Christ let let those important to you see a life built on prayer, worship, and love of god. Like Christ let those you love see you pray and teach them to pray. Like Christ let your family see you ask God for help. Live a life in God by showing your sons and daughter how to truly worship God. As fathers and parents shouldn't we love our sons and daughters so much that we show then Christ and give them a life with God so they might have eternal life?

Prayer –

Dear God, as a parent give me strength to show the love and unity of the Holy Trinity in me to my family.  Give me the unity to lead my family in worship of you God as members of your Church a unified people in the Holy Spirit through Christ Jesus. We pray that our families know you and we witness to them to all those around us by our lives.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment