Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

28th Sunday Homily Reflection: Leisure Suits & Spaghetti Dinner

A couple of weeks ago, I read the readings. I went and sat in a quite place and asked God to give me a message. 
God spoke to me, “Leisure suits.”
Y’all are looking and me and saying “huh?”  I did too.
But God spoke to me in an image I just couldn’t get out of my head, “leisure suits.” And I said, God I don’t understand; but, I trust you. I just kept asking myself “Why leisure suits?”
The gospel reading is about a wedding feast of the King. The King is God, the first people to be invited represent the people of Israel, but they are too busy. They don’t come to the feast. The King then sends his servants to the marketplace were everyone gathers: Jews, Gentiles, poor, sinners, men, and women. The servants invite everyone to the King’s feast.
We then learn that one of the guests at the feast is without the right garment. The King is offended and the guest is bound and cast out into the darkness.
For a week and a half I’m thinking, God, am I supposed to say you can be thrown out of the feast for wearing a leisure suit.
Then Tuesday morning, I was laying in a bed in a hotel in Nashville Ten; listening to the rain. and God shows me his message. And surprise - it begins with leisure suits.
How many remember leisure suits? Polyester pants with a shirt style jacket put together with a patterned polyester shirt. The shirt collar was wide to cover the jacket collar and the sleeves long enough so the cuffs could be folded back up over the cuffs of the jacket. 
In 1976, if you had a leisure suit, you were cool.  My best friends were Ricky and Mike. We came from similar families. We weren’t rich; our fathers worked hard and our moms took care of us. We had part-time jobs. We hunted together, fished together, ate pizza together, and were in the same classes.
Being football players, we had to dress up and a leisure suit was perfect. And, did I mention; if you had a leisure suit you were cool.
Ricky had a green leisure suit. Mike had a royal blue leisure suit and some of the highest platform shoes you could get. Mine was burnt orange and from the JC Penny catalog. I had a white belt and a pair of three inch white platform shoes from Kmart. 
That year, Mike’s mother became very sick. His parents had to go to the hospital in Houston and he was left in charge of his brothers and sisters. Since Mike’s mother was sick, my mom invited Mike over to eat a pregame meal. If you invited one of us, you usually got all three of us. To this day, I remember Mike pulling up and parking his dad’s work truck on the road. Getting out of the truck was Mike in his blue leisure suit and Ricky in his green leisure suit, my best friends.
It was a feast that could be described like the one in Psalms “a table spread before us in goodness and kindness.” Using Isaiah’s words it was a “feast of juicy rich food.”  It was a feast of healing for Mike who had went so much the two previous weeks.
We had enjoyed the spaghetti and that night, no one else at my house had spaghetti. God had blessed us, we were friends, Mike’s mom was better, and we won the game.
The next morning, I heard a knock at the door. It was the lady who lived next door.  Bless her heart.
She was a widow and the type of person who didn’t like you to walk on her grass. She would come running screaming “get off my grass, your going to kill it.” You did not jump the back fence to get your ball or Frisbee. You had better first knock and get permission. We had lived next door for six years and her dog never liked us.
This Saturday morning, I could hear the fussing at my Dad. “How dare you let that happen?” Thanks to your boys no one is safe any longer. It is all on account of those boy’s. They are a bunch of heathens.
Just the regular stuff she said about us. Bless her heart
But this morning, she had something else on her mind. I remember my father asking her what we had done. She said “he’s not white” (and “not white” was not the racial term she used.) “How could you let one of "them" come to your house. You’re supposed to be a Christian; you should be teaching them boys better than that.”
I still remember my father’s answer “I am teaching them better than that!  Good bye”
It is something that has always stuck with me “I am teaching them better than that?”
Soon, my friends and I graduated high school and went our separate ways. One stayed home and became a police officer. One joined the military and retired on the east coast. One is now a Deacon.
Isn't God great? When God invites us to the heavenly feast; we are not going to be judged on our earthly clothes. We could show up dressed in a royal blue leisure suit and matching four inch platform tennis shoes, or a uniform, or a deacon’s robes. Our clothes can come from JC Penny, or Wal-Mart, or Abercrombie and Fitch, or the Goodwill. Our skins can be any shade that God has blessed us with.
None of these earthy human identities are important. 
What is important - Do we dress for the heavenly wedding feast in the love that is Christ? Christ is all that God wants to see us clothed in. All the ugliness of the world is left behind. This is when we will be asked to stay.
This is what God reminded me of in my tale of leisure suits and a spaghetti dinner.
When we clothed ourselves in Christ, we do not see the differences the world puts on us only the sameness that God created in us. Their loving friendship was found in a faith in Christ given to them by their parents; not in the expectations that the world put on them.
We thought we were cool; but really - we were even better than that.
There were times in my life, I would have never expected to be in these Deacon robes.  Times when I was clothed in the ugliness of this world: sin, full of my own ego, and I cared more about my self than others.  We all have been there.
But, I remembered what my Dad said, and I asked myself “Am I better than that?”
I think it’s one of the most important parts of this story. I think its what God wanted me to share.
When you look at all the stuff you put on in this life, no matter how good or how bad you think it is, ask yourself: 
“Am I better than that?” 
Paul tells us how when he writes, “I can do all things in him who strengthens me.”
Look at ourselves, look at the world – “Are you better than that?”

In Christ, you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment