Total Pageviews

Friday, October 24, 2014

Christian Flash Fiction: The Credit Card Machine (A Modern Parable)

“Once he was useless to you, now he is useful both to you and to me” (Philemon 1:11)

The warm donut smell escaped past the sign reading:
Credit-Debit Card Machine Broken
Cash or Check Only

The shop owner busily works both the drive up window and counter. With each customer, she pleasantly informs them before they order, “I’m sorry: my credit-debit card machine is down, I can only take cash or check. Is that OK?”

The five people in line and those at the window in turn are told the same, as she fairly alternates between the two. Finally, she tells the person in front of me the same pleasant tale.

The young woman says, “No problem,” and orders eight different things; asking for separate bags and that each be warmed.

To pay for the donuts, she pulls out a card.

The nice donut lady, “I’m sorry, but I can’t take credit-debit cards only cash or check, my machine is broken.”

“Yes, I know; but, this is a check card.”

She left mad and without donuts. 

A beautiful lady smiles at me, “I’m sorry: my credit-debit card machine is down, I can only take cash or check. Is that OK?”

No comments:

Post a Comment