Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I Challenge You Deacon Bill

When people find out that I am a Catholic Deacon, they want to debate me. It seems to be especially true if they are a fallen away Catholic and attending church in a different denomination. Then they really want to debate me. This week I met a man who had that goal. 

I will not use his name. He said he was raised Catholic. He identified himself as a strict Calvinist. Then he asked me if I knew what that meant. 

“Yes, I was raised Southern Baptist and that is a pretty Calvinist denomination.”

“Well I believe you are saved by faith,” he challenged.

I said, “I do, too, but do you really have a true faith if you do not have works.”

“Where is that in the Bible?”

I said, “James.” 

His answered, “That’s what I thought.”  

I replied, “Yes, it says that in the Bible, but it also says that it is through Christ we are saved.”

I did not want to debate him. I know there is no doctrine in the Catholic Church about working your way into heaven. But sadly, many people believe otherwise and they will argue about it.

In the Bible, the works that Jesus and the writers are speaking against are the works of the Jewish law. One of my favorite works they speak against is circumcision. These people did works of the law not for love of God but for false piousness. These were the works of the scribes and Pharisees. We are to do better. Jesus says, “For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom on heaven.” (Mt 5:20)

Works of love and works of faith are good things. They are important.  Works done to glorify God and in the name of Christ Jesus are a natural result of a true conversion of heart and baptism in the Holy Spirit. Our works are not to rob God of his glory but to give God glory. Jesus says, “Let your light shine before men that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Mt 5:16) or Paul tells us “We are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”(Eph 2:10)  Jesus tells us the importance of works “Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord” shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” (Mt 7:21), and “I will give to each of you as your works deserve.” (Rev 2:2)

Works are important, if you disagree which one of the works that Christ asks of us is not important:
  • Love, 
  • Forgiveness, 
  • Obedience, 
  • Faithfulness, 
  • Evangelization, 
  • Witness, 
  • Belief.
Or maybe, the works we should forget are these, "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’"(Mt 25: 35-37)

Later that day, my friend Chris told me that he was once raised in the Catholic Church but now he considers himself just a Christian. He was excited to tell me about how his Church was trying to bring more men to Christ by focusing ministries specifically for men. That’s works and by the Calvinist definition I was challenged with - Catholic.

I think I can work to glorify God by praying for those who work for Christ like Chris and his church.  I think I can work to glorify God by praying for those who persecute me. These works won’t get me into heaven, but the One who opened my heart to do his work will.

No comments:

Post a Comment