Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Mosquito Came to Mass

You may have heard my homily or read my blog reflection "I'm A Wanderer" about things that can distract you during mass. It's true even the deacon can get distracted.

Well today, we had two guests at Mass. Fr. Rothell Price, Vicar General for the Diocese of Shreveport was our celebrant. The second guest was a mosquito that came to Mass.

​After I prepared the cup for the Eucharistic celebration and knelt beside the altar, I noticed a mosquito landed on a drop of wine that was at the base of the cup. 

Fr. Price consecrated the Eucharist and the mosquito stayed on the cup. It was drinking the blood of Christ that had once been just a drop of wine. Its abdomen was swelling as it consumed more and more of the precious blood. The mosquito stayed at that drop until I handed it to the Eucharistic minister of the cup. It then flew off. 

I told Father Price, a Canon Lawyer, about this and asked, "Is it OK to swat a mosquito that has consumed the most precious Blood of Christ?"

His reply, yes, you can swat that mosquito; but, maybe we should leave that mosquito alone, so that everyone it bites gets injected with Jesus!

I love Fr. Price.

No comments:

Post a Comment