Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Sunday Reflection - Imperfect & Saintly - All Saints Day

St. Paul calls all believers saints. The Church is the communion of saints. I'm a baptized believer. Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I have given my life to him. But, am I a saint? If I am, I’m an imperfect saint and I could use some instructions. 
Wait, Jesus told us how to be saints. He told us by his life. He taught us the beatitudes, which are a basic outline for being a saint. Thay are instructions from Jesus on holiness.
The first thing Jesus tells in the beatitudes is to be happy. That’s what blessed means: be happy. Makarios is the Greek word that translates blessed or happy. Happy are those who are blessed.
These beatitudes sound hard and for a defeated people. That’s another ideal of being a saint; don’t be defeated by the hard times in life.
When we are poor in spirit, mourn, and meek, we’re blessed to be happy. We’re blessed to be happy when we seek righteousness, peace, and cleanness of heart. And we’re blessed to be happy in our mercy. We’re blessed to be happy in persecution because of these and because of Jesus.
photo: www.nola.com
Our Lady of Prompt Succor
Westwego, LA
If we live according to what the world expects, it's hard. But, the beatitudes give insight to happiness that overcomes hardships. This insight is the third part to being a saint, embracing God’s not so secret ingredient: love. True holiness is found in a blessed life, happy in God’s love through Jesus Christ. Happy in a love that is not passive; a love that is pure and genuine; a love that is truth.
By the power of God’s love, I can live a blessed and happy life. Blessed is the saint, a believer, a follower of Christ, an adopted child of God.
This tells me one thing. If I'm a saint; I'm an imperfect saint. I'm not radical enough.
Being a saint is a radical of idea. It was radical 2000 years ago and still is today. Living like Jesus is radical. Living as a saint is hoping to live our life based on the love that Jesus lived, making ourselves like him; living the beatitudes.
It’s a radical call to happiness and love from God. It’s a radical call to the vocation of saint. A vocation the world needs. Every crisis the world faces or the Church faces is a crisis of love and happiness. They're crises that need saints.
That's why living happy in God’s love is not passive. The way of the happiness and love promised by the beatitudes becomes part of your life. Love's truth requires commitment and action. It must be the continuous choice in everything. Love, pure and genuine, will guide our actions in the world. It is this choice for happiness and love that draws saints closer to God.
I borrow the words of Dorothy Day.
“Love and ever more love is the only solution to every problem that comes up. …it is love that will burn out the sins and hatreds that sadden us. It is love that will make us want to do great things for each other. With love, no sacrifice and no suffering will then seem too much.”
This is the holiness we are call to by the beatitudes. It is through love and happiness that Jesus gives us what he is. Believers must open themselves to this, take it, and examine our lives.
Ask - Am I poor in spirit? Am I humble and merciful? Am I pure of heart? Do I bring peace? Am I blessed? Am I happy?
Jesus blessed us to be happy. Live Jesus’ plan; live life in the happiness and love found in a life for God. Blessed and happy by the love of Christ, I cannot be defeated.
We’re all imperfect and saintly; so be a saint in the imperfect way that is you. Strive to live a life of happiness and love. Pray to follow the example of all those imperfect Saints who have found perfection in the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment