Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Comfort is Me Not Singing - A reflection for the 2nd Sunday of Advent

This week was interesting.
I was told to prepare to give the Homily. I prepared; then, I was told a visiting priest was giving the Homily.
I rewrote my reflection as a poem. Comfort: A Poetic Reflection for the 2nd Sunday Advent.
Thursday, I received a text that I was needed for the singing of Kyrie Eleison at mass on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. (I had warned the new pastor my lack of singing skills.) I practiced night and morning. I still remember the look of horror on the Cantors face when I said I was ready to sing.
Our new pastor said, “No! Deacon you must not sing!” He had a different plan.
At the Saturday Vigil mass, I was told by the visiting priest to give the Homily. But, during the procession, he decided to do the Homily.
This week I traveled the roads of Isaiah, twisting, turning, up and down.
But, I know my destination is the peace and comfort our Savior promises. It is in what Isaiah proclaimed, “Comfort, give comfort to your people O Lord.” It is in Jesus.
It is comfort in one mightier than any of us. He will baptize us with the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is the great comforter. Comfort is the lovingkindness of God found in the peace, joy, and presence of Christ Jesus. We wait for the promised comfort.
Wait for the Lord will send His comfort to us. As we wait, be a voice that proclaims the Gospel. Go to the mountains and hills. Go to the rough country. Shout from the wasteland. Say to all who will listen, Our God comes with power and might. Prepare the way of the Lord.
Many do not know His comfort. It is the power of His comfort that calms the anxiety, turmoil, obstacles, and waste lands of our life experienced in what is thought to be the comforts of this world. But they only bring rough and rugged places full of the mountains and hills of everyday life in this world.
Many wait and long to know Jesus. They wait for us who have been in the same place as them (the barren desert of sin) to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. Be brave, proclaim Jesus as the path of salvation.  
Brothers and sisters during advent, acknowledge our sins. Know our destination. Pray for the coming of the Holy Spirit to help us navigate the crooked roads, hills, mountains, and wastelands of this worldly life. Prepare for the coming of Christ.
Yall be good. Yall be holy. Be a voice crying out the good news, the gospel of Jesus Christ by the way the live and love. That is what Advent is about. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment