Total Pageviews

Friday, December 15, 2017

Joy Grasps Your Right Hand - Reflection 3rd Sunday Advent

When Joy Grasps Your Right Hand
When my youngest daughter was three years old, my wife took her to get her first set of glasses. Full of joy, my daughter screamed, “Momma, I can see!”
This week I had cataract surgery. Finished, the Doctor asked “How’s that feel?"
I shrieked with joy, “I can see! I can see!”
My wife heard me in the family waiting room.
Joy brings out the need to shriek, scream, and cry out your happiness for the world to see. Able to see, my daughter was full of joy. After my surgery, this 56 year old was too.
Think about a young couple entering a marriage. She is full of joy when he asks. He is full of joy when she says yes. (or vice-versa) There is usually some screaming and crying.
New parents, grandparents, family, and friends are full of joy at the birth of new and loved child. When their eyes first see the child, joy explodes.
When we experience true joy, we grab the loved one nearest to us for a hug, scream or cry, and jump for joy.
Think of the prophesy Isaiah gave; I am the LORD, your God, who grasps your right hand…. Imagine in the greatest times of joy, God grasping our right hand as we cry out and jump for joy.
This is Gaudete Sunday; Joyful Sunday in the Church. Our readings begin with a powerful experience of joy. The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me;…  
Brothers and sisters: Advent is a time of joy. Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing.
This is time to profess the good news of Jesus Christ; this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.
Grasp the hand of God to proclaim the gospel that in God is the joy of our soul; he has clothed us with a robe of salvation and wrapped us in a mantle of justice....
We know joy by the presence of the Holy Spirit. Do not quench the Spirit.
The Spirit anoints us to proclaim the gospel. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor, heal the broken hearted, and proclaim liberty to the captives.  These are done in joy.  It is in joy that we testify to the light, so that all might believe through those of us who believe.
During advent we repent of our sins, pray and prepare for the coming of one greater than any of us. This advent anticipates the one who brings joy greater than any joy we will ever know. He is the one the world asks about.
Be filled with the Holy Spirit. Grasp joy with your right hand. Exclaim and cry out the joy of Jesus Christ. Shout the gospel in all we do.  Jump for joy at the promised coming of our savior. Grab the hand of the one who loves you. 

I am the LORD, your God, who grasps your right hand…. It is joy the world needs to see!.
Yall be good, yall be holy, and preach the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment