Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 15, 2018

I Got… to let God be God - Homily 14th Sunday OTB

(Readings)

I was serving at a funeral mass in another Parish. The Tabernacle sits at the top of three stairs approximately 15 feet behind the altar.
As I was bringing the Blessed Sacrament to the altar, my shoe slipped on the second step. I was falling backwards. I was about to get hurt; but, I couldn’t drop the Blessed Sacrament. I pulled the Ciborium close to my chest and put my thumbs on the lid.
Then as suddenly, I was falling forward. I was afraid I was going to fall on the ciborium and scatter the body of Christ across the sanctuary. So I moved the Blessed Sacrament to a position out in front of me, above my head.
I stuck the landing, straight up on both knees; no wobble, no bounce, and no sway.
But, I couldn’t get up; my Alb and Dalmatic were under my knees. I couldn’t place Jesus on the ground so I crawled on my knees to the Altar. The older priest never knew what had happened. Luckily, my wife, the Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, took the ciborium so that I could stand up.
I am 300 pounds of clumsy, but my guardian angel was with me.
It is times like this, I hear in my head, what are you doing here on the Altar of God? Off with you, flee from here! This is the sanctuary of the LORD…
So, I pray to be filled by God the Holy Spirit, to be open to the will of God the Father, and to justly proclaim the good news of God the Son. I pray until I read the gospel. I open myself in hope to grace; and I let God be God.
I am just an ordinary man like Amos. He was a shepherd. I am a husband and a father. He was a dresser of sycamores; I make sure people are safe at work.
But, God enlighten the eyes of my heart. I heard his call, “Go and minister to my people!”
God enlightens the eyes of each of our hearts if we let God be God.
St Paul writes, In Christ, God blesses us with every spiritual blessing and He has chosen us. Paul states in those words that two times God has chosen us,
Most will say - Nope can’t do that. God isn’t calling me.  I’m too busy, I got a job, I got to make money, I got bills, I got, I got, I got….. I got excuses.
Our personal lives and private morals down to the smallest detail are our reality. Those are usually our god.
Most of the time it is full of I got, I got, I got….. All those “I got” are not free. They demand more from us that our Heavenly Father ever will.
For all those I got excuses, “Get behind me Satan.” Throw them away. We are all called by God. God has chosen us and wants to be part of your life, so let God be God.
As a young wife, my wife’s aunt Laura laid in the hospital bed in pain after giving birth by caesarian. Her new born child was in serious condition. She looked at the crucifix on the wall of her room at St. Francis Hospital and made a promise to Almighty God if he would let her son live, she would serve Him the rest of her life. It was a prayer of desperation for God’s grace that sprang from hope and faith.
Immediately the pain left her and her child survived.
Hope and grace are God’s spiritual blessings; so are joy, happiness, and love. God lavishes blessings on us. She shared her story with everyone. She preached the Good News of Jesus until she went to be with Him at the age of 93.  
Laura let God be God and come into her life. Staring at that crucifix, she knew she was redeemed by the blood Christ Jesus. Her life was one in service to Christ and the Church.
I got an excuse; I have nothing to give. Chosen by God in Christ, you will be given the gifts you need. Doing the work of God brings us closer to the one who chose us.
Jesus summoned the twelve and gave them authority.... They preached repentance, drove out demons, and healed the sick. Jesus used the twelve to bring his message to the world.  
We are chosen and God blesses us with every spiritual blessing. Let God use you and me and her and him to proclaim his Kingdom.
He chose us in Christ. Let God be God and raise us to our divinely intended greatness. He chose us for adoption to himself.
God wanted Amos for a new job. God wanted Laura for a new job. God called all the saints to a new job, working for him. God wants each and every one us to working for him.
Brothers and sisters, forget “I got, I got, I got…” Remember this “My God, My God, My God” and let God be God.
By being good, being holy and preaching the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment