Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 15, 2018

My Soul Clings to You - Reflection 24th Sunday OTB


I begin with a prayer “My soul clings to you Lord Jesus Christ.” We are made by God for good things. I cling to all that is of Christ, the truest of good things.
I start with this prayer because of the battles the Church is fighting. The world is against the People of God.
This week, the CBS Morning News had an interview with the FBI Director on the midterm elections. First, the interviewer came after the Church.
The questions asked, “Why wasn’t the FBI investigating the Catholic Church?” “Why are they not persecuting, excuse me, investigating the Catholic Church?” The question was not immediately about priests or Bishops. It began against the Catholic Church.
Social media finds the ugliness in people. Against the Church, there is not shortage. Some say they believe. Some say they are Catholic. Some say they are leaving the Church.
It is ugliness thrown at Christ. And, I pray, “My soul clings to you Lord Jesus Christ.”
Along the way Jesus asked those who were following him. "Who do you say that I am?" Peter said to him in reply, "You are the Christ."
As we travel on the journey of faith, the Lord continues to ask the same question. He asks us. He asks the Church. Who do you say that I am?
We answer by our faith. If faith is shown in works, think about how we answer.
Think about how priests in sexual scandals answer.
Think about how those who covered-up abuse answer.
Think about how those who leave the Church answer.
Think about faith and how it is lived, and how we answer
But those are all different things. Yes, they are different; do not compare sins.
Sexual abuse and cover-up is a sin against the innocent, our neighbors, and God. It is devastating to all it touches. To see sin and to cover it up allows sin to grow.  
Sin attacks us and the Church in those we are supposed to trust. Yes, it is different from the sins most of us experience; but, sin is sin no matter by whom and no matter the form. We may not be guilty of sexual abuse, but when we knowingly sin or see sin and cover it up by thinking it acceptable, sin grows.
Leaving the Church, living sinful lives, forgetting our promises to God, lying to our self and to the world is sin; sin against the innocent, our neighbor, and God. Even coming forward to receive the Holy Eucharist outside a state of grace, without reconciliation and penance is a cover-up of our failings.
Sin is Sin. Not respecting God is not respecting God.
What good is it, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? What good is faith if it does not have works; it is dead.
All our sins are against the innocent, our neighbor, and God. Even though we may say we have faith, it can still be dead. Then, we are where the devil wants us.
I was in Little Rock this week and on the grounds of the State Capitol, the Church of Satan erected a shrine. It is a goat headed god with children looking on in wonder and expectation.
No matter what they say, the reason for this shrine is to attack God and his Church.
The world says it is about free speech.
Jesus says to the world, "Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do."
The church gives its back to those who beat upon it, its cheeks to those who plucked its beard; it does not shield its face from the buffets and spitting. This is where the Church is today. I believe this is from where Pope Francis leads the People of God.
Jesus began to teach them that He suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed…. and rise after three days. He spoke this openly.
Jesus promises us the Church will continue. Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.
As the Church is attacked, many are returning to their former way of life. Many choose a life at the foot of Satan, as the world erects monument to Satan in our hearts, falling for the deceiver’s false promises, lies, and temptations.
Whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it.
Remember these words from St. Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians: Three times I begged the Lord to take this thorn from my side, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.
We are made by God for good things. Good things are all that is of Christ; the Church (the People of God), faith, and grace that is the power of Christ dwelling in me.
 “My soul clings to you Lord Jesus Christ.” Be good, be holy and preach the gospel by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment