Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Green-Eyed Monster - Reflection 26th Sunday OTB

Moses said to Joshua, “Are you jealous for my sake?”
I know where Joshua was coming from; we can all have a twinge of jealousy sometimes.
For me, jealousy rears its ugly head when I hear great speakers; when I hear words crafted in beautiful ways; when I hear voices rich and full; and when I hear anyone with a beautiful singing voice. My jealousy comes, when I hear myself - off tune and voice cracking. Am I not worthy of more than those who fail to used their talents to glorify God?
Jealousy personified is the green-eyed monster. I have to fight that monster way more than I like. It is the same green eyed monster poor Joshua was fighting.
Joshua had been Moses aid from his youth and was still a young man. He was being groomed as the next leader of Israel. Joshua was probably in the tent with all those leaders who had received the Holy Spirit.
He was worthy to receive the Holy Spirit, not the two who did not even show up. Joshua was not feeling jealous for the sake of Moses.
Moses, my Lord, stop them!!
Luckily, the young Joshua grew out of that jealousy spell he was experiencing.
Maybe, it was the same thing with Jesus’ disciples.
John the youngest of the disciples came to Jesus: "Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us."
In others words, Jesus, my Lord, stop him!!
Jesus’ reply to John was that “no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me.”  
“Would that all the people of the LORD were prophets!”
Luckily, John, the youngest disciple grew, out of that jealousy spell he was experiencing.
Jesus goes on to tell us that if your hand causes you to sin cut it, if your foot causes you to sin cut it off, if your eye causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better to enter into eternal maimed than to be thrown into Gehenna.
Find the millstone that weighs us down and keeps us from receiving the Holy Spirit. It may be seeking pleasure or greediness or jealousy or anger or worldliness or something else; cut it off.
Sometimes, mine is jealousy, by my faith, I’m trying to grow out of it. My Lord, stop jealousy from tempting me.
I am learning not to be jealous. Everything I bring to God even if it is out of tune or poorly crafted or meager of words, by the power of the Holy Spirit, God uses it for his glory.
We are made by God for good things. Friends, be filled with the Holy Spirit. Be prophets that give glory to God through Jesus Christ. Be good, be holy, and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ by the way we live and love. Amen.


 .

No comments:

Post a Comment