Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 22, 2018

Cats, Dogs & Bringing Love - Homily 4th Sunday of Advent


Today is the fourth Sunday of Advent. We light the last candle on the advent wreath. We’ve already lit the candles of hope, peace, and joy. This week the fourth candle represents love and the white candle for Christ.
Christ is love. God is love. God is being itself. And God is not a being that occasionally decides to love. God’s love is infinite, absolute, and eternal. It is at the very nature of being itself.  God is the one in whom we live, move, and have our being.  (Rohr, Daily Meditations 12/5/2018)
But the problem in the world today is we focus our love on the wrong things.
Has anybody ever heard of the cat and dog theology?
The cat’s theology is these people that live with me give me shelter, give me food and water, protect me, and love me. The cat thinks, even though I don’t need any of those things they give them to me; so, I must be a god.
A dog’s theology is these people I live with provide me shelter, provide me with food and water, protect me, and love me. The dog thinks even though I’m brave and strong, I still need this; so, they must be a god.
Sometimes I think the world is moving toward that cat theology of God. Because all this that is provided for me; I must be a god.
Maybe the reason so many people error in God’s love is because it is radically different from human thinking on love. Maybe, this is why more and more people are not coming to mass. Maybe it is why so many are hurt by the sins of man manifest in a Church of sinful people.
More and more are not coming to mass or attending in the worship Service because they don't understand ultimate love. They fail to realize the truth of God‘s love or any love.
To most, the reality of love is “What’s in it for me.” It is reality even for some in ministry. Love is not about what is given to me; love is about what I give to others.
It was for love of the Father that Christ said, “Behold, I come to do your will." It was His act of love for us fulfilling the Father’s will.
And today’s Gospel gives another example of giving love.
Mary traveled to the hill country to visit her cousin Elizabeth who was with child. And when Elizabeth saw Mary, She was overjoyed and filled with the Holy Spirit. Elizabeth was overcome by love; because, Mary in more ways than one was filled with the ultimate love of God.
Mary, the mother of God, Mary, the Christ Bearer, Mary, the vessel that brought the ultimate revelation of the love of God into the world carried the love of Christ to Elizabeth. This was the first time she gave the love of Christ in her to someone else.
Elizabeth cried aloud, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”
We come to mass to know love, to be filled with the Holy Spirit, to be filled with Christ in the Holy Eucharist, and  share the love of Christ with one another. My brothers and sisters do we take that love to others outside these walls.
Do not disrespect the love of God who gives everything to us by not bringing the one who is love itself to others.
I think that is what Elizabeth realized when she said the moment the sound of Mary’s greeting reached her ears, the infant in her womb leaped for joy.
The love of Christ leaps for joy inside of us. It will leap for joy inside of those who we share Christ’s love.  Share the feeling.  Share His love.
Look at the dog; it leaps with joy, wags its tail happily, and barks excitedly when it sees the one it loves. Dogs are so enthusiastic with the love  we have for them and they have for us that they share that love with everyone around them.
We should do the same for our love of God through Jesus Christ. Jump for joy, shout with excitement, and share with everyone the love God has for all of us.  
Cat lovers don’t get upset, some cats do tolerate, maybe, even love their people.
Have a blessed Advent. Be good, be holy, and preach the gospel by the way you live your lives and love one another. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment