Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 9, 2018

"If Only" - Homily Second Sunday of Advent - C

Today is the second Sunday of Advent and we light the Peace Candle, the candle that represents John the Baptist.
We come together in Advent as a time of anticipation about new beginnings, new starts, and new arrivals. But, Advent is also about the incarnation and life.
Scripture tells us God became a person “that we could hear, see with our eyes, look at, and touch with our hands.” 1 Jn 1:1 God became a person so we could experience him and He could experience us through a human life. God in Jesus Christ would have a human life story.
Each of us has a life story. I wonder how Jesus’ would compare to ours.
Our lives all begin as helpless and naked infants.
From that beginning, life becomes is a series of new beginnings, new starts, and new arrivals. We live advent, waiting and many times longing of the next stage of life; living in anticipation of getting somewhere or being something. We look to find our life’s incarnation of happiness and peace.
At every stage, we wish “if only”….
“If only” I could ride a bike. “If only” I could finish school. “If only” I could meet the right person. “If only” I could get that great job. “If only” I could buy a nice house. “If only” I would get that raise or promotion. “If only” I could get what I want in life; I would know happiness and peace.  
These “if only” wishes fills our lives with ups and downs, rough ways and winding roads, valleys and mountains.
Yet, when life nears death, the “if only” wish of many - “if only I had lived my life differently.”
In college I asked my dad “Was it wrong for me to want to go to night clubs?” I liked girls, dancing, and beer. A nightclub was a place for all three.
“If only” I didn’t have to spend my little bit of money on a bus ticket home. “If only” I wasn’t expected to work around the house, clean, and wash clothes.
At that time, my dad was sick and even though I never said it aloud, I thought it. “If only” I didn’t have to come home to all the sadness, sickness, and suffering.
My life story doesn’t compare very well to the life story of Jesus.
But my dad answered that question with a smile and some of the best theological and spiritual advice I ever received. “The Lord is coming again. Go ahead and live your life, but don’t let Jesus find you where you shouldn’t be.”
At that time, I probably didn’t hear the truth in those words.
We make bad choices in our imperfect human life. These are choices that we mistakenly believe are the source of happiness and peace. We find these “if only(s)” wishes in our pride, greed, envy, lust, anger, gluttony, and laziness.
Why did they get a promotion and I did not, “if only” it was me. Why do they have a big house and I do not, “if only” it was me. Why do they have someone special in their life and I do not, “if only” it was me.
These “if only(s)” are not the way to live.
God lived a human life in example of the life He wants of us. It’s not about us. It‘s about God. Although, the Prophet Baruch’s words were about Jerusalem and prophesying about Jesus, they apply to our lives. 
God will show the earth your splendor, the peace of justice, and the glory of God’s worship.  
That is why Jesus’ life was so much different than ours. He lived a human life to the expectations of God the Father.
Paul encourages us in our new beginning.  “The one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it.” This one is Christ. As we prepare for His advent, he prepares us for ours.  
Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low. The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
Each chapter of a person’s life leads inevitably to the next, from birth to death. We can’t change that; but, we can change the “if only.” These are life’s new beginnings, new starts, and new arrivals.
Our advent is the everyday “if only” to live life in the Lord. It is the beginning of true happiness and peace.
God leads us in joy, by the light of his glory, with mercy and justice.
“The Lord is coming again. Go ahead and live your life, but don’t let Jesus find you where you shouldn’t be.”
Friends, try these “if only(s)” during Advent. “If only” we can be good. “If only” we can be holy. , “If only” we can preach the gospel by the way you live and love one another. Amen.                            

Have a blessed Advent.

No comments:

Post a Comment