Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Blessed with Hope - Homily for the First Sunday of Advent 2018

(Readings)
Today is the first Sunday of Advent. This is the day we bless the advent wreath and light the first candle, the candle of hope.
I hope I get this right, because I am often confused by what to say at this time of year. It is too early for Merry Christmas and happy advent or merry advent is just not right. Of course we could always go with the secular Happy Holidays.
The appropriate greeting is “Have a Blessed Advent.” That is what it is about, because we are blessed by the anticipation of the coming of the Lord.
We are blessed; Christ came as the child Jesus born in Bethlehem. We are blessed; Christ is coming again. We are blessed; Christ comes every day to our lives. In all these we are blessed with hope.
These are the advents our readings point to today.
The prophet Jeremiah proclaims the first coming from David will come a just shoot that will do what is right and just in the land.
Of the Second Advent, Jesus proclaims stand erect and raise our heads because redemption is at hand. It is with these words he prepares us. Beware that your heart does not become drowsy from the Anxieties of life. Pray that you have the strength to stand before the Son of Man.
For most Christians prepare for these two Advents. They celebrate that He has come and He will come again. But many fail to recognize the everyday advent. They fail to realize the hope of Christ in ever day life.
That is what Paul is telling the church in Thessalonians.
Brothers and sisters: “May the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all….” And again, “Conduct yourselves to please God ...., strengthen your hearts, to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his holy ones. Amen”
Everyday advent is seeing the face of Christ in each other. Advent is bring Christ to the world in all we are and in all we do. It is an everyday advent. It is hope for this world.
This week I flew to Kansas City for a business meeting. I had a layover in Dallas. There, I met a beautiful lady, Mrs. Caldwell. The valet had pushed her wheelchair next to where I was sitting.
After she finished her lunch, I offer to throw away her trash and we struck up a conversation. Boarding the plane, she said to me “I saw Christ in you the moment I laid eyes on you.”
It was not about me. It was her faith seeing Christ in others. It was her advent.
On the return flight again in the Dallas airport was another woman. The valet had pushed her wheelchair to the area I was seated so she could watch the Saints - Cowboys game.
Immediately, she was on her phone, obviously upset. Upset the valet had placed her chair too far from her departing gate. She was at the gate but in front of the television.
She was upset with the Dallas Cowboys, upset with the New Orleans Saints. She was upset with the person on the phone, apparently a family member.
And in all this she showed an extreme talent for colorful language and used it in abundance.
She was clearly distraught. And as I and another person offered her assistance, I noticed that around her neck hung a cross.
As we approached her, she said to the person she had been so upset with on the phone “Got to go now, love you!”
I thought to myself, she doesn't sound very Christian.
Friends the problem was not her. It was me. I was not seeing Christ in this person who was in need of help. I was not celebrating the coming of Christ in the world today.
My brother and sisters advent is to prepare ourselves to meet Christ every day. It is seeing Christ in our brothers and sisters, every person. No matter if they are hungry or needy or sick or in pain or can talk a blue streak, Christ comes to us in each and every person.
I met two beautiful ladies; in one was so easy to see Christ and in the other it was a little harder. It is that way for all of us.
Remember this prayer from the psalm:  All the paths of the LORD are kindness and constancy; to you o Lord I lift up my soul.

Have a blessed advent, be good, be holy and preach the gospel by the way you live and love one another, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment