Total Pageviews

Friday, April 13, 2018

Expiation of Our Sins



Fr. Job is in the process of receiving his doctorate in Marriage and Family Therapy (M&FT). And, I was helping him prepare for his comprehensive finals. He said to me “Deacon, in M&FT, truth is relative to the dynamics of the relationship.”

Since that time, I have been pondering, “Could I, a person of faith, participate in relative truth when it contradicts the ultimate truth of God?”

The accidental characterization of an individual or specific group’s truth does not change the substance of real truth. Our relative truth can still be a life of sin. 

You can paint a white wall red but it still remains a wall.

A white lie or a half truth is still a lie. 

Fish swim.

Lions and tigers are hunters.

I am a sinner.

And, I find the answer to my contemplation, “Could I, a person of faith, participate in a relative truth when it contradicts the ultimate truth of God?” We struggle over the nature of truth; but, by my sin, I confirm my relative truths every day. We live in relative truths out of ignorance of God who is the truth and wills the truth.

Christ Jesus will lead us to the truth. "Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts?”

Christ is expiation for our sins and not for our sins only; but, for those of the whole world.
The reason Christ Jesus died for sins…, was that he might lead you to God. (1 Peter 3:18)

In Jesus Christ, the whole of God's truth has been made manifest. The Living Word of God is truth. By him we are forgiven the sins of the relative dynamic truths of everyday life.  

Fr. Job always witnesses the love of God and forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ. As he moves to become Fr. Job Ph.D. in M&FT, like all good priest, he brings the presence of real truth to the truth of everyday lives.

Scripture instructs us that the forgiveness of sins is to be preached in his name to all the nations…,

Be good, be holy and preach the gospel of forgiveness by the way you live and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment