Total Pageviews

Monday, May 6, 2019

Stop Procrastinating - Homily Reflection 3rd Sunday of Easter

readings
How many procrastinate and tend to put things off for whatever reason?
This Sunday as we welcome young people to the Eucharistic table making first communion, I want to tell you about my procrastination.
I was baptized into the Catholic Church at two weeks old. I was never catechized because my dad became a Baptist minister. But I married a Catholic woman and was raising my children in the Catholic Church but I didn’t make my first communion until I was 35 years old.
I kept putting it off. And, the Lord kept calling me.
It was the same thing about becoming a Deacon. I told my wife the Lord was calling me. But I made excuses. I got other things I have to take care of first. I have a job. I have a family.
I kept putting it off. And, the Lord kept calling me.
In both instances, I was scared or unsure. Maybe I didn’t know how to do or what to do. I felt uncomfortable in a  way.
I should have learned my lesson; but still, I procrastinate. Like on this this homily. I was a little blank. I couldn’t hear or understand what message the Holy Spirit was speaking to my heart. So, I googled procrastination and spent an hour reading about it.  
Then I prayed the Liturgy of the Hours and asked the Holy Spirit to send me inspiration.
The prayers for the Hours begin: God come to my assistance, Lord make haste to help me.
It’s amazing we put off our work for God and ask God to hurry up and come help us. It also funny the message He put in my heart, stop procrastinating– why aren’t you doing my work.
That’s where we procrastinate. Proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord and doing His work in this world.
Usually, procrastination is intentional; like that shown by the apostles in today’s gospel.
Over the couple weeks before this gospel narrative the experience of the apostles included the crucifixion of Jesus, the resurrection, and His appearing to them not once but twice behind locked doors. They had even received the Holy Spirit when the risen Christ, breath upon them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”
The apostles should have been on fire!
Instead, Peter announces, “I’m going fishing.” And, 7 of the 11 apostles said they were going with him.  
Instead of going out and being the fishers of men Jesus wanted them to be, they were going back to the comfort of what they knew. They were running scared.
Fishing was something they knew. It gave them comfort.
Maybe the devil put in them a longing for what was comfortable to procrastinate from doing the hard and demanding ministry Jesus had asked from them.
These first priests were scared little children in the world. Maybe they felt, they were not worthy or didn’t know exactly what to do. And, they went out and fished all night and 7 expert fishermen didn’t catch a single fish.
In the morning, Jesus appeared on the shore and called them just as they acted: “Children did you catch anything?” The apostles acting like children instead of the adults tasked with doing what the Lord asked of them.
Why aren’t we doing the Lord’s work?
Jesus will ask us to do things we consider hard. They are the same things he asked the apostles; things outside our comfort zone.
When the Lord puts something uncomfortable before us we tend to be little children. We don’t want to look foolish or be ridiculed or have someone think we are wacky religious.  
He sends us to ministries and works outside our comfort zone. The Holy Spirit moves us to work with the homeless or volunteer for hospital ministry or start a prison ministry or work to feed the hungry.  Maybe our ministry is to stand on the street and proclaim the gospel of the Jesus Christ.
Most of the time, we must start these ministries and works with nothing than the need. So we procrastinate and it’s intentional.
If we put it off, maybe someone else will do it. The devil encourages procrastination to keep us from what Jesus has asked of us.
We avoid Jesus speaking to our hearts. We out off all Jesus asks of us. If we are not doing what the Lord asks; it's like fishing all night and not catching a single fish.  
Jesus questioned Peter the rock on which he built his Church, the same Church that is all of us.
"Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?"
Simon Peter answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." He asked Peter a second time, "Do you love me?" 
"Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, “Tend my sheep." Jesus said the third time, "Do you love me?"
Peter was distressed Jesus asked him a third time, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

Finally to Peter, Christ speaks these words to all the Church, Follow me.
Follow Jesus Christ to the places you will feel uncomfortable and feed the hungry, give water to those who thirst, clothe the naked, and take care of the sick and dying. Follow me to places were you may be ridiculed or mocked because of me by preaching the gospel the good news of Jesus Christ.
He’s not going to stop asking you. He’s not going to stop calling you. “Do you love me?”
We as a Church, Christians, believers answer: “Lord, you know everything; you know that we love you.” If that is the case: We should have been on fire!
Why aren’t we doing the Lord’s work?
Don’t procrastinate. Obey God. The Lord will tell us where to cast our nets.
Be good, be holy, preach the gospel and cast your nets in the way you live your life and love one another.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment