Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 4, 2019

The Way, The Truth, and The Life - Homily Reflection First Friday Mass


This week Janet and I have been mentoring an engaged couple for pre-Cana. Our mentor workbook asks us share our biggest fight. It was my fault.
It was my fault because I had forgotten one truth.
My parents told me, no matter how much trouble you’re in, those who love you will be there for you. Most importantly God is there for you; put all my trouble in Jesus’ hands.
I had heard “I am the way, the truth, and the life,” all my life.  I had heard it but I didn’t know it.
For the biggest fight in our marriage was not really with my wife. It was with the devil.
I was ready to throw everything away. My wife, my family, and myself because I couldn’t handle being knocked down again and again and again by the world.
The devil was winning. He was killing the love that was in me. Not the love for my wife and children because their love kept me connected to God’s love.  The love dying in me was the love that keeps us inter-connected and interacting with the world.
They say you have to hit bottom before you can rise back up.  All I could do was the thing the devil didn’t want me to do. Put my troubles in Jesus’ hands. Put my faith Jesus Christ to seek forgiveness for all I had said and done.
That brings me here today.
During pre-canna mentoring we did another exercise where we drew a picture marriage. The engage couple draws what they expect. The married couple what they’ve experienced.
Janet’s picture was a road with ups and downs and one particularly large dip.  I think it was that fight.  Looking back now, God was in those ups and downs.
It took those ups and downs to truly understood Jesus’ words. “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”
My friends, you have to hear those words. You have to live those words and claim those words as your own.  All comes from Him. He is the Way. He is the Truth. He is Life. He lives within us. He does all things for us.
May each of you know his love today and forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment