Total Pageviews

Friday, May 9, 2014

Being a Disciple

Acts 9:6 "Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do."

I am at a small church.  As I have studied to become a deacon, I have listened to hear what God is telling be to do.  But in a small church this can be confusing.  People come and go, they volunteer and then they don't.  Parents bring their children to learn but only when it is convenient.  In a small church, this is reality. 

But even in a small church things change.  Soon, we will have a new pastor at our mother church, Our Lady of Fatima.  So today, I met with our associate pastor who works with our community.  He laid out his plans for his ministry in the next year.  A simple  plan: we are Christians but we must be disciples, too.  As a community, we must be a community of disciples.  In the Book of Acts, a community of disciples is described.  It includes being a people of prayer, listening to the apostles, sharing the Eucharist and being a community of life.

Christians are called to be disciples.  Like Ananias, who the Lord called to lay hands on Paul, disciples are called to do Christ's work.  Like Ananias, we may be scared and may not think we can do anything.  Ananias is celebrated in the Bible only once.  But his call no matter how small, contributed to make a difference in the world.  A difference that still touches the world today.

By the power of the Holy Spirit, our actions can result in much good.  We can work in small ways to make things better if we make the things that we do count for something whenever we can and where ever we are.  If our work is for God then it will always count for something.  

Acts 9:15  But the Lord said to him, “Go, for this man is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before Gentiles, kings, and Israelites..."

We are all trying to be disciples so we need to live our lives like it is not only a visit in this world.  We are here for a reason and that reason is to live a life of discipleship by showing kindness and love.  Living the life of a disciple can fill the empty in others.  Bringing the community and bringing Christ to those looking for him.

I am only one person; but, I am one that God called.  God calls to all of us.  God calls us to be disciples as we are.  It is as St. Catherine of Siena said, "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."

I will find the time with my job and my family to truly live the life of a disciple.  With my pastor and associate pastor, I will minister at my small church and to others in my community.  In the summer when the members are on vacation and the pews are empty, I will not be discourage and reach out.

When I am the only one at adult education, I will still study and teach.  When I am called to help, I will bring Christ to those who are empty. I will be a disciple always reaching out to make a difference by caring and acting in big ways in that is needed and in small ways that are always needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment