Total Pageviews

Monday, May 26, 2014

Speaking at Mass

Sunday, I was asked to speak about the Holy Spirit at Sunday's Mass. This was asked of me at about 6:00 pm on Saturday evening as my wife and I were preparing for an anniversary date. (Twenty-nine wonderful and blessed years for the curious). I decided that I would prepare after our date and the next morning.

So, I asked and prayed about what to say. Copious notes were taken. The catechism was studied. I was prepared. When I got up to speak, what I prepared and what came out was something entirely different. What I said was not what I had studied on or what I had prepared. When I stood up, I spoke without knowing my end but only what I was being led to say. The first words out of my mouth were the Holy Spirit is harmony.

In our diaconate studies on the Trinity, the Holy Spirit is identified as the love that exists between the lover and the beloved. The unity that is between the Father and the Son is where the Holy Spirit exists. In this unity and love are where the fruits of the Holy Spirit come from and include love, joy, and peace. This is the essence of the unity between the Creator and the Word.

In this unity we also find the gifts of the Holy Spirit including wisdom, understanding, and fortitude. These are the fruits and the gifts of the Holy Spirit that Pope Francis is praying comes upon the people of the Holy Land and the rest of the Middle East

In these things I see the harmony that the Holy Spirit brings.  The harmony of peace, that brings love and joy. The harmony among people found with wisdom, understanding and the fortitude to use these in dealing with other peoples. Yes, I see that the Holy Spirit brings harmony. 

In the beginning the earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. (Gen 1:2) 

The Holy Spirit was there at the beginning of creation. It existed so that when the word of God came forth; wisdom, understanding, fortitude, peace, joy, and love all came to God’s creation. The Holy Spirit did not create but made creation hear the Creator’s words. It brought harmony to the chaos.

Just as the Holy Spirit was there at the beginning of creation and brought the harmony need for creation. The Holy Spirit is the first to awaken faith in us.  The Holy Spirit is always available to bring the harmony to our spirit that seeks to be a child of God, to know the peace and love of Christ, and to seek the joy that that is the kingdom of heaven. The Holy Spirit makes us now Christ. The Holy Spirit makes us hear the Father’s word and to know his grace. It brings us to harmony in our faith.

The funny thing is that when I was through, I wanted to read on thing that was written on my notes. So I looked down to say a prayer.  I stuttered and stumbled all over it. Maybe the Holy Spirit did not want people to hear it because it was not what God wanted me to say.

The Holy Spirit communicates to us the new life that God the father bestows on us through Jesus Christ. (CCC 684)

Holy Spirit does not speak of the Holy Spirit; Makes us hear the Fathers words; Makes known to us Christ (CCC 687)

No comments:

Post a Comment