This weekend reminded me how a voice can be recognized
even when the face is blurred.
A young man—once a kid in the halls with my daughter—
stood in church as I baptized his child.
And one of his classmates said to me,
“I couldn’t see you…
but I knew your voice.”
My daughter said,
everybody at school was afraid of you.
Her husband, in disbelief said,
“They were afraid of your dad?’
And it struck me:
many people know God like that.
They carry an old opinion of Him—
shaped by fear,
distance,
misunderstanding.
They hear something familiar in His voice,
but they cannot yet see Him clearly.
Today’s readings tell us why.
Micah says God is the One
who removes guilt,
casts our sins into the sea,
and delights in mercy.
The Psalm says He restores, forgives,
and withdraws His anger.
And Jesus says the true sign of God
is not spectacle,
but the mercy revealed in His own life—
the greater‑than‑Jonah love
that enters the depths for us.
So maybe the eyes of the heart
open slowly—
through remembering His mercy,
walking humbly,
refusing to harden ourselves,
and seeing Christ
as the sign of God’s love.
And when that happens,
we don’t just recognize His voice—
we finally see His face.
I give thanks for the grace
Of being able to see his face.
Prayer
Lord Jesus Christ ,
Soften the places in me
that have grown stiff with worry.
Let Your mercy be the light
that steadies my steps.
Teach my heart to recognize Your voice
in every moment.
Hold me close
when I cannot yet see clearly.
And lead me deeper into the love
that never lets go.
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment