Total Pageviews

Monday, August 10, 2026

A Treasure Given

 

Readings 081026


Yesterday at St. Lawrence

we blessed our newly remodeled hall — 

a humble space, 

renewed for fellowship and simple joy. 

Then we shared a parish meal 

for the Feast of St. Lawrence

BBQ pulled‑pork sandwiches, 

warm conversation, 

the kind of gathering that feels like home.


And I smiled at the irony.


Because Lawrence, 

commanded by Rome 

to surrender the Church’s wealth, 

gathered instead the poor, 

the sick, 

the suffering — 

and said, “These are the true treasures.” 


His witness was sealed 

on a hot iron gridiron, 

his final words: 

“Turn me over… 

I’m done on this side.”


I carried some of those parish meals

to our shut‑ins.

I brought them Communion — 

the Body of Christ, 

and a small taste of the parish table. 


Scripture whispers this steady truth:

“He scatters abroad, 

he gives to the poor; 

his righteousness endures forever.”


So here I stand — 

a deacon, 

eighteen hundred years after Lawrence — 

finally seeing what he meant 

about the treasure of the Church. 


It isn’t stored. 

It isn’t counted. 

It isn’t guarded.

It is given.


Because Jesus said: 

“Unless a grain of wheat 

falls to the earth and dies, 

it remains alone; 

but if it dies, 

it produces much fruit.”


That is the quiet dying we offer — 

the gentle letting‑go, 

the daily surrender, 

the fruit that grows in others 

because Christ first grew in us.

Prayer

Lord, 

Make my heart

a place of giving,

where Your treasures 

are the poor and the broken.


Teach me to surrender

like the grain‑of‑wheat,

that my small dying 

may bear Your great fruit.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment