Total Pageviews

Monday, August 17, 2026

The Kindness that Stays

 

Readings 081726 


This weekend I assisted 

at the funeral of a wonderful lady —  

a woman God blessed 

with ninety‑four years of life.  

I met her more than four decades ago 

when we worked at the same place.  

I remember the kindness in her eyes,  

the warmth in her smile.  


And thirty years later, 

when I walked into the parish

the new deacon,  

there it was again —  

the same kindness,  

the same warmth,  

still shining, still steady, still hers.  


This weekend, 

the church was full.  

She had touched many lives.  

Grace has a way of doing that —  

quietly, consistently, without fanfare.  


And as I prayed, 

I felt the old truth rise again:  

God removes false attachments 

so His people can return to Him  

with a poor, honest, undefended heart.  


When pride, idols, or possessions become

*the delight of our eyes*,  

He lets them fall away —  

not to harm us,  

but to awaken us.  


Because anything that replaces God —  

even good things —  

becomes a chain.  

And when those chains break,  

the heart becomes free enough  

to love again,  

to trust again,  

to belong to God again.  


Her life reminded me of that freedom —  

the kind that comes from a heart anchored in Him.


Prayer

Lord Jesus Christ, 

soften my heart 

until it rests fully in You.

Break every false attachment 

that dims Your light in me.

Teach me to cherish what is eternal, 

not what fades.

Let Your kindness shape 

my smile, my steps, my days.

And welcome Your servant 

into the joy that never ends.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment