Total Pageviews

Friday, August 28, 2026

The Foolish & The Wise

 

Readings 082826

Memorial of St. Augustine


The Liturgy of the Hours 

gives us the quiet line:  

“Let the people’s praise, 

     the wisdom of the saints.” 

And we know this truth —  

wisdom rarely comes first.  

It comes after experience,  

after mistakes,  

after the long road of being  

foolish  

before becoming wise.


Today we honor St Augustine,  

a man who chased the world’s wisdom  

until the world nearly swallowed him whole.  

But when Christ broke into his restlessness,  

everything changed.  

The wandering heart  

finally found its home.


And I think of myself —  

thinking I knew everything,  

trying to control everything,  

doing foolish things  

because I trusted my foolishness.  

And it almost destroyed me too.  

Until God spoke into my chaos:  

“Listen to Me.  

Do what I ask.  

I am with you.”


Scripture tells us  

that God makes the world’s wisdom foolish,  

and Christ Himself is  

the power of God

and the wisdom of God.


The Wisdom of God 

who gives us the parable —  

ten virgins waiting for the bridegroom.  

Five foolish.  

Five wise.  

The wise kept their lamps burning.  

The foolish trusted their own timing,  

their own control,  

their own wisdom —  

and they missed grace  

standing right in front of them.


So today,  

on Augustine’s feast,  

let your heart learn from his journey  

and from your own:  

The world’s wisdom fades.  

God’s wisdom saves.  

Keep your lamp lit.  

Stay awake.  

And walk in the wisdom  

that never fails.


Prayer

Lord Jesus Christ

Let Your wisdom burn brighter

than the world’s foolishness.

Keep my heart awake,

my lamp steady in Your light.

Speak into my restlessness 

guide my wandering steps.

Stay with me, Lord, 

and make me wise 

in Your sight.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment