Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 9, 2026

The Whisper of God

Readings 080926


 

As a spiritual director,

 I often ask people, 

“When you pray… 

do you hear God’s voice?”

Most answer with honest longing: 

“Deacon, I pray all the time, 

but I get nothing out of it. 

I never hear God. 

I don’t know His will.”


That is the cry of the Psalm:

“Lord, let us see your kindness, 

and grant us your salvation.”

The cry of someone 

who wants more than noise—

someone who wants God Himself.


And so I ask the question 

that opens the door:

“Are you still enough to listen?”


Because many of us treat prayer 

like a drive‑through window.

We place our order, 

pull away, 

and hope 

something good shows up.


But prayer is not fast food.

Prayer is relationship.

And relationships 

require stillness.


St Paul tells us, that is where, 

our conscience 

joins with the Holy Spirit, 

bearing witness inside us.

God’s voice is not always thunder—

sometimes it is the 

gentle stirring of the soul, 

the whisper that says,

 “I am here.”


Elijah learns this on the mountain.

Not in the wind.

Not in the earthquake.

Not in the fire.

But in a tiny whispering sound—

so small he almost misses it—

yet carrying the weight of heaven.


And in the Gospel, 

the disciples learn the same truth 

in their storm.

The waves are loud.

Their fear is louder.

But Jesus comes quietly, 

walking toward them, 

speaking the same whisper 

He used on Elijah:

“Take courage… it is I.”


The moment He steps into the boat, 

the wind dies down.

Not because the storm wasn’t real—

but because His presence

 changes the storm.


God is trying to tell us something:

“I am closer than the wind.

I am quieter than the waves.

I am speaking—if you will listen.”


When you pray… 

do you give God 

enough silence to speak?

Do you stay long enough 

for the whisper?


Prayer

Lord, 

quiet my soul 

so I may hear Your whisper.

Steady my heart 

when storms rise around me.

Let Your presence be the peace

 that calms my fear.

Teach me to listen 

with faith, trust, and love.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment