Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 22, 2026

The Quiet Work of Humility

 

readings 082226 


Humility has been sitting  

on my heart lately—  

a quiet nudge from God,  

a gentle invitation  

to look deeper,  

to bow lower,  

to surrender more fully.


A future deacon and I  

have been praying through this together.  

Talking about how surrender  

is not dramatic…  

it’s simply letting go  

of the prideful habits  

we once protected,  

once cherished,  

once thought we needed.


We prayed the Litany of Humility—  

slowly, honestly,  

asking for the grace  

to live what we preach,  

to practice what we proclaim,  

to become small enough  

for Christ to shine through.


I shared with him  

the humility of being a deacon—  

serving wherever God points,  

even in the hidden corners  

where no one applauds.


Like the older couple,  

both ill,  

who called asked for some help.  

Not a sacrament.  

Not a ceremony.  

Just help.  

And I went…  

because that’s what love does.  

That’s what Christ asks.


“The greatest among you  

must be your servant.  

Whoever exalts himself  

will be humbled;  

but whoever humbles himself  

will be exalted.”  


Humility is not a posture—  

it’s a way of life.  

A quiet yes.  

A simple offering.  

A willingness to serve  

in small places  

so God can work  

in great ones.


Prayer 

Lord, 

Make my heart 

small enough to serve.  

Teach me to surrender 

the pride I once held tight.  

Let Your mercy shape my steps.  

Fill my hands with 

simple acts of love.  

And lift me only in the ways 

that glorify You.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment